DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Weather station and ET predictor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather station and ET predictor?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted
So in this day and age of drag racing I realize these are important in order to be successful in any form of racing. After taking several years away and looking forward to getting back to it, what is the go to weather station and ET predicting software? Is it worth the investment into one of the trailer mounted weather stations with pager? or are the hand held units just as good? I have seen a few individuals at the track using the crew chief pro, and it seems to be a good one, is that the one to use or is there something else equally as good that I am not seeing?

I know all of these components are only as good as the person putting the information into them and the driver still needs to cut a light and be able to drive the stripe when needed, but dont want to go out there and be way off every pass either.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's the go to weather station but we just got a computech race air cloud with wind and paging. It also does prediction by text which I like better than the pager but we go to tracks with less than great cell service so the pager will come in handy. I found the software easy to use and the run completer and prediction seems right on using weather from my old hand held kestrel. The race air cloud is also compatible with crew chief pro if you decided to go that route at a later time.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 462 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the Altronics weather station and run Crew Chief Pro software. Works awesome!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
It depends on what kind of racing you are doing.

I bracket raced fairly successfully for a long time with no weather equipment whatsoever.

For the past few years I've been doing more Super class racing and have an Altalab trailer station with wind and paging along with Crew Chief Pro, and feel like a similar setup is essential to any success there. I don't know if the brand of weather equipment makes a huge difference as long as it is able to integrate into the prediction software.

When I'm bracket racing, I still use all of the equipment to log runs but don't pay much attention to the predictions.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I would look at who pays contingency.

I use computech and have for years. It helped that they are 40 mins away. They answer the phone on weekends and evenings or will call you back if you have questions or issues.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
I would look at who pays contingency.

I use computech and have for years. It helped that they are 40 mins away. They answer the phone on weekends and evenings or will call you back if you have questions or issues.

I 2nd Computech, I had an issue with my race air cloud this weekend, my son called and left a message to the weekend number and someone called back within 5 minutes. The problem was resolved right away. I was definitely impressed with the customer service

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post