DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    615 Tall Deck 10.200", Dart 20 Degree head, What Distributor???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

615 Tall Deck 10.200", Dart 20 Degree head, What Distributor???
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone out there that has built a tall deck BBC with the Dart 20 degree heads, what distributor do you run? I ordered a crank trigger distributor from MSD, it will engage on the oil pump drive, but doesn't look like i'll have enough room for a distributor hold down clamp its sitting so low in the distributor hole in the manifold. Intake is raised up quite a bit......

MSD part number 84863 and seems like the distributor is too short. MSD description is "Chevy Super Tall Block Black Crab Cap Distributor".

To complicate things a bit more, its a Dart Tunnel ram so can't have the large diameter cap.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I run the same distributor I had with conventional heads. It's tight but there is just enough room to get a nut on the stud. Looks like MSD offers a distributor for raised blocks #8547

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
MSD slip collar. Not idea if they make a taller deal for this combo. I have a raise am block so I don't have your issue. The Dart heads and Brodix heads are the same as far as this is concerned and they have been out for while now so it must be ok, just tight with a standard cam location.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 7959
posted Hide Post
I have the slip collar also

Posts: 26 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Anyone out there that has built a tall deck BBC with the Dart 20 degree heads, what distributor do you run? I ordered a crank trigger distributor from MSD, it will engage on the oil pump drive, but doesn't look like i'll have enough room for a distributor hold down clamp its sitting so low in the distributor hole in the manifold. Intake is raised up quite a bit......

MSD part number 84863 and seems like the distributor is too short. MSD description is "Chevy Super Tall Block Black Crab Cap Distributor".

To complicate things a bit more, its a Dart Tunnel ram so can't have the large diameter cap.

A Dart cast t-ram as delivered will not flow enough air, and ported will be marginal.
I have ground out the back on a few dart rams to accommodate a stock chevy style msd cap for marine use, as most will never turn over 6k.
Make damn sure you have enough oil pump drive engagement. You may have to got to a front distributor to accomplish your deal, without pics it is impossible to see what is going on.
MSD does make a crank trigger dist for the super block stuff, as I recall it is about an inch taler and has a slip collar.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post