DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel gauge problem on 99 camro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel gauge problem on 99 camro
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Need help, my 99 Camaro fuel gauge starts going back towards full when the tank gets below 1/2. In other words when I fill up it reads full then it starts going down as normal until it reaches a half a tank. Then as I continue driving it begins to go back towards the full mark. The sending unit is integral to the fuel pump and is in the tank. It cannot be changed without changing the pump assembly. This is the second unit to do this. The pump is over 400.00 dollars. Any ideas? For now I use the trip meter but if someone else drives it then it can be a problem.
Thanks,
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can replace the level sensor on that year. Sounds like that would be the problem.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'll look into that. When I changed it a few years ago I made an access panel in the hatch floor so now at least the pump can be removed in minutes.
Thanks for the info.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
It's your sending unit, my K2500 did the same thing. Did you use a Delco or Delphi when you replaced it or an Airtex? I found the GM part number and did some internet shopping and a Delco was a lot cheaper on Amazon or ebay than the junk Airtex.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
To establish a base I believe I would run both the new and old level sensors through their full travel with an ohms meter attached. Good move on the access panel!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Do you have a ground strap on top where the pump goes? Also the harness where it plugs in go bad .

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If memory serves I believe it is an Airtex.

There is not a ground wire.

I will check the plug for issues.

Thanks for the tips.
Davud