DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    thoriated and lanthanated tungsten
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thoriated and lanthanated tungsten
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Difference? Best for molly,mild steel and SS? edumacate me on difference in two.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
Can't educate you,or tell you why but 2% is what I was taught to useand all I have bought and used for aluminum and all other

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
on aluminum I have always used pure,2% for steel. The above are both 2%,but have different qualities I assume that make them better or worst as case may be.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lanthanated tungsten (1.5% is gold stripe) will erode less than pure tungsten on AC/aluminum. This allows for point profile to remain in lieu of having a ball form on your pure tungsten. I use 1.5% Lanthanated on aluminum and still use 2% thoriated on carbon/stainless.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
www.weldingtipsandtricks.com

He says 2% Lanthanated for everything generally

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
From weldingtipsandtricks.com :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEuV83UGMY

Ben Rawe 383H
1965 Chevy II Nova

Posts: 226 | Location: Alexandria, KY | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I would say it depends on your machine (and material). The older the machine (AC) and lower voltage, the more I would go with pure tungsten. With some square wave and all inverter machines on highter voltage, I would go with a 1.5% - 2% lanthanated.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i use E3 for about everything

https://store.cyberweld.com/ane3tuel.html

Posts: 691 | Location: tower city pa | Registered: December 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
...and one is mildly radioactive, and one is not...only Lanth for me ;-)

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted kemble jr.:
i use E3 for about everything

https://store.cyberweld.com/ane3tuel.html

Ok Ted, I just ordered a box of 1/16" and 3/32"...if it doesn't make magic I'm holding you personally responsible....lol

What the heck is with all the .040" sizes in this stuff?? I've never used an electrode that small....maybe for aluminum sheet?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
.040 IS NOT ELECTRODE ITS WIRE FOR MIG.lol

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
.040 IS NOT ELECTRODE ITS WIRE FOR MIG.lol

Right?? Bet an .040" tungsten would break if you dropped it..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post