DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide no reverse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide no reverse
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted
Glide with pro brake
No reverse but will hold in low gear.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Glide with pro brake
No reverse but will hold in low gear.
Any ideas what could cause this?

So you're saying no reverse, low gear is working?

Did you try the TB?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If the TB works but reverse doesn't, check power at the solenoid with the shifter in reverse, backup button pushed.

Check your shift lever / cable adjustment in reverse.

Could be the manual valve is off, or it could be slop in lever keyed through the rooster.

Could be a lot of different things, check the first items I mentioned.

What did it do when it quit working? Anything unusual happen?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Torn gasket, it happened to me.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
checked all normal stuff.

torn valvebody gasket ?

Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

torn valvebody gasket ?

Is the TB holding, no reverse? is that what you're saying?

Can you give some history on this, how long has it worked, is it fairly new?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
quote:
new build

torn valvebody gasket ?

Fordyce Motorsports

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

torn valvebody gasket ?

Is the TB holding, no reverse? is that what you're saying?

yes
Can you give some history on this, how long has it worked, is it fairly new?

Fordyce Motorsports

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
new build

Fordyce Motorsports

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
new build

Does the trans brake work?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Since it is a new build and worked before, it could be that the lever has slop in the rooster.

When the shifter is in reverse the lever has the manual valve out of position.

The more non factory internals we see out there due to PG cores running out, the more I suspect this in situations like this.

Ya need a tight interference fit lever keyed/splined to comb.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pull the trans pan, you'll see a gear selector guide plate, take the two bolts out of that to remove. Take the cable off the shift lever and hold the manual valve to check for slop.

I'll see if I can round up a photo guide plate and manual valve for ya.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Take the guide plate shown on left off, so you can see if there is slop.

You'll see the maual valve when you take this plate off.

The lever on the right slides through the rooster. Your looking for slop in those two pieces.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
thanks

Fordyce Motorsports

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I smell china junk has you waisting time on junk.

GM Powerglide internals are getting somewhat hard to find.

It could be the rooster cracked I suppose, I'm sure you've seen or heard of that before.

That'll cause a manual valve misalignment too.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks

No problem, Let me know if I can help further.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I guess I should’ve explained better. My car would not back up with the shifter in reverse and me mashing the transbrake button. It would however hold when in low gear and pushing the button.

I tore it down and the only thing I found was a torn valvebody gasket. Replaced it and all was good.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I guess I should’ve explained better. My car would not back up with the shifter in reverse and me mashing the transbrake button. It would however hold when in low gear and pushing the button.

I tore it down and the only thing I found was a torn valvebody gasket. Replaced it and all was good.

That is our situation exactly.
Thanks !!

Fordyce Motorsports

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:

That is our situation exactly.
Thanks !!

You need to check the pressure at the reverse port, with the shifter in low trans brake applied and with the shifter in reverse, backup button applied.

This will tell you if it's the manual valve (slop in lever, or manual valve needs indexed), or a leak as cashflow is suggesting.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
if its a new build and a stock case the port in the back of the case must be drilled or enlarged to 1/4 if I remember right. had one tranny years ago that we pulled apart 4 times before we reread the directions! LOL

Posts: 13 | Location: papillion NE | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post