Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for 400 style fuel pump recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 400 style fuel pump recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Been through 2 quick fuel 427 pumps in the last year. Looking for something different. What you got? I heard that there is a marine style pump that works flawlessly. Just can't remember the name.

Posts: 83 | Location: NC | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
if you want the best, Product Engineering. Second best is Magnafuel which is the predecessor to PE.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8039 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed. I am assuming that any of the above style pumps all mount up the same? We have a plate the pump sits on and two bolts from underneath the pump secure it.

Posts: 83 | Location: NC | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
pretty much

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 8039 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My magnafuel pump went right on the braket in place for the old bg400 pump.

Posts: 89 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
of course it did, John Rademacher aka Superflow fuel pumps, MangaFlow fuel pumps, now Magnafuel and Product Enginnering fuel pumps, built the BG400 pump too and are all the same basic pump with each new venture having more vanes.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So if all the above pumps are the same as a BG, is the BG that bad, or the others just keep improving on the original? I have a BG400 thats had seals put in it twice now its not a big deal to do. Just wandering if the "new" ones are that much better.

Posts: 390 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
John kept improving the design. His original pumps, Superflow as well the original BG had 3 vanes, the Magnaflow aka Magnafuel has 4 vanes and the Product Engineering has 5 vanes.

That said, my dragster has the Magnafuel Prostar 500 and my Firebird has the Product Engineering 460 pump.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Weldon Pump has been good to me & I used the same bracket that had BG.

Posts: 13 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
what is failing on the pumps? are they leaking or are the motors burning up? if motor is failing may want to check voltage going to the pump I wired up my car with a K&R kit and a relay but the voltage drop was to much and had to step up to a much larger wire to feed the pump I have a prostar 500 pump after the wiring change it has been flawless for 3 yrs now

Posts: 309 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
So if all the above pumps are the same as a BG, is the BG that bad, or the others just keep improving on the original? I have a BG400 thats had seals put in it twice now its not a big deal to do. Just wandering if the "new" ones are that much better.

BG went out of business, but the pumps were excellent. As you mentioned, the seals are quick and easy to replace on the BG 220 thru 400 pumps, and you can buy kits on fleabay for less than $15, delivered, which include the O-Rings as well.

Dan "Jim" Moore
This year = "Transbrake Jim"
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 425 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pumps burn up. Wiring is the same K&R.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 03 busa:
Pumps burn up. Wiring is the same K&R.

where is the pump located verse the wiring panel how long is the run of wire from the relay to the pump check voltage with a meter i bet you need a heavier gauge wire

Posts: 309 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pump is right behind firewall on right side and wire runs up to front foot box area.