New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerglide
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 1966 Chevy pickup with a powerglide in it. As far as I know it is original to the vehicle.

When you take off it runs great in low gear, then when it shifts in to high it will accelerate for a few seconds then begins to slip. It feels like you shifted into neutral.
Doe’s anyone know what causes this? Will it help to change the fluid and filter?
If it makes any difference I think the pickup sat in someone’s barn for a couple of years.

Posts: 403 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
most likely time for a rebuild,high cluthes worn.those had a wave steel in high to soften shift,this caused slippage.if original im sure there are other worn parts

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Over a long period, the piston sealing rings [which are rubber] become hardened and no longer seal. Plus, as Rusty said, clutches are worn.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Being it is original to the truck it sounds like it is time to show it some love with a rebuild and maybe some modern upgrades

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
If the shifter cable is even slightly out of adjustment, it will cause the shift flare, also.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Original trans??? 56 years old???. It owes you nothing. Needs a bench job... Problem being the older units with the paper filtering. Non screen
will varnish up and cause issues. If you decide to do a F/F. The contents in the bottom of the pan
will put you in the right direction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post