Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fuel Funnel Filter/Screen?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel Funnel Filter/Screen?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted
When I watch the pros on TV anytime they are pouring fuel in the car I see a filter/screen that stretches over the funnel. Anyone know who makes these?

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540
12° Profiler Heads
The Blower Shop XR1
3.80@185
Less Boost Than You Think
www.killerrons.com

Rolla Competition Engines

Posts: 2045 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The gas tank store sells them. 2 qt or 6 qt funnels.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hudson FL | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Also check with pit stop usa.com

Posts: 43 | Location: Hudson FL | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Outwears

David Lanning

Fleenor Racing Powerglides
419-280-1406
Team Mickey Thompson

Lanning Electric
APD, BTE, Digital Delay, Hughes, Reid & Trans Specialties Dealer

Posts: 4835 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
I've seen some guys stretch a piece of ladies nylons over their funnel. Wonder what the micron rating is on that? lol

Here's an inexpensive option:
http://www.northerntool.com/sh...lves-meters?seeAll=1

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 460 | Location: DSofA | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I think I'll skip the pantyhose though......

272" Spitzer
12° Profiler Heads
The Blower Shop XR1
3.80@185
www.killerrons.com

Posts: 2045 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hey grandfather use to use old pantyhose for paintfilter when paint had trash in it,worked great. Pretty fine mesh also.Those old guys knew how to make use of everything to keep from spending buck. Not suggesting it just saying it probably works.

http://www.schooledbyscotty.com/
Only the stupid know too much to learn something new.
Chris McBride

deplorables saving america one vote at a time

Posts: 1307 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1 | Location: nashvlle | Registered: December 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro_ET
posted Hide Post
I use paint filters.

Posts: 173 | Location: Div 3 | Registered: December 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Canted Valve
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'll skip the pantyhose though......

What's the problem? Don't want to dilute your collection? Ice Cream

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 1305 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mr. Coffee Permanent Basket Style Coffee Filter they last for drop in the funnel and you remove it clean it with Brack clean

Posts: 19 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of gd31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammertime:
Outwears

Good for Alky to?

Posts: 609 | Location: Greenwood Indiana | Registered: November 16, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Just ordered one, I'll let you know.

I would think that if it works with gas it will be OK with alcohol. Gas is much more of a solvent than alcohol is..........

272" Spitzer
12° Profiler Heads
The Blower Shop XR1
3.80@185
www.killerrons.com

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
I think I'll skip the pantyhose though......

What's the problem? Don't want to dilute your collection? Ice Cream

Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

272" Spitzer
12° Profiler Heads
The Blower Shop XR1
3.80@185
www.killerrons.com

DRR Top Comp
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
IMHO filtering the fuel is important, but it can be a simple effort.
I pump from drums into 5 gal jugs and have 5 in my trailer.
I have one jug with the hose spout that is dedicated to refueling my car.
I use a large red funnel with a built in, but removable fine mesh filter and refill my dedicated jug using it when it is empty at the track.

https://www.summitracing.com/p...550-014-06/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/p...500-000-01/overview/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit...105126&wl13=&veh=sem

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12203 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I filter from the drum to the jug, from the jug to the cell. I don't run a filter on my car.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 330 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Paul, I have one of the triangular funnels with the filter in it, but on my car with the front mounted fuel tank I can't use it. There is a baffle and return tubes directly below the fill cap. I made a funnel that screws in the same as the filler cap. The Outerwears screen/filter looks like it will be the ticket.

272" Spitzer
12° Profiler Heads
The Blower Shop XR1
3.80@185
www.killerrons.com

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The OUTERWEARS fuel funnel pre-filter will help prevent water, in the form of gas can condensation from entering your tank during refueling. This will also filter out wind-blown sand and dirt particles as small as . 005" in diameter keeping fuel systems clean. PRE-MIX is no problem!!

How does that work?

quote:
Outerwears Pre-filters are designed to enhance the efficiency of any performance or exposed air filter. The Pre-filter is constructed with a proprietary polyester mesh with uniform micron openings, treated with an optional hydrophobic water-repellent process. The mesh is UV resistant, filters debris down to .005”, is shatter proof in freezing temperatures, and resistant to heat up to 450 degrees. The material is puncture resistant and has elasticity characteristics allowing the threads to return to the original position in the event the threads have been impacted or shifted. The manufacturing process incorporates a welded seam for strength, or reinforced industrial grade thread to fill needle holes and to reduce potential failure points in the material. The top seam utilizes specialized thread and cording (ON LARGER PIECES W/TOPS) to reinforce durability of the top. Six stock colors are available in either regular or the water-repellent variety. Special colors are available with appropriate volume. Pre-filters are designed to deflect the damaging debris, which clogs air filters, compromising peak air-flow and horsepower. The Pre-filter also extends the time between servicing intervals reducing costs and increasing convenience for the consumer.

So do the pro teams use it to pre-filter the fuel and also to ensure no added water contaminates it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Reyer,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 330 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Paul, I have one of the triangular funnels with the filter in it, but on my car with the front mounted fuel tank I can't use it. There is a baffle and return tubes directly below the fill cap. I made a funnel that screws in the same as the filler cap. The Outerwears screen/filter looks like it will be the ticket.

I never use that funnel to put fuel in the cars tank.
I figured if I filter it going in the jugs and I'm golden. I have never raced in an area that I had to worry about junk getting into my tank when refueling and use this hose on my dedicated jug.
I like using this hose as I can easily see the level in the tank and avoid over fills.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12203 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I tried one of those hoses and it's just too difficult to fill this tank because of the baffle and tube directly below the opening. There is literally only 3/8ths below the fill hole. My screw in funnel works great. I used a fill cap, cut a hole in it and TIG'ed an aluminum funnel to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
12° Profiler Heads
The Blower Shop XR1
3.80@185
www.killerrons.com