DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What exactly is a "spun" bearing? What causes it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What exactly is a "spun" bearing? What causes it?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, I've heard guys talk about a "spun" bearing in their's or other's engines, but I don't know exactly what that is. I'm not that much of a mechanic.

I never thought to look dumb by asking them....
Here I have a little bit of anonymity. ;^)

I reckon they mean a main bearing. They build their own engines, and I wonder what if anything they did wrong, or what one can do to prevent "spinning" a bearing.

Thanks!
T.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
When an engine is running normally and has good oil pressure and proper clearance between the crank and the bearings......there is no metal to metal contact. The parts are riding on the oil essentially.

If that oil is lost and the metals rub it does not take long before the heat and friction causes the bearing to "spin" out of position and seize on the crank...it will quickly turn black and literally weld itself to the crank.

Once that happens major failure is gonna happen very quickly depending on power level, rpm, and numerous other things like how strong the parts are.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
When an engine is running normally and has good oil pressure and proper clearance between the crank and the bearings......there is no metal to metal contact. The parts are riding on the oil essentially.

If that oil is lost and the metals rub it does not take long before the heat and friction causes the bearing to "spin" out of position and seize on the crank...it will quickly turn black and literally weld itself to the crank.

Once that happens major failure is gonna happen very quickly depending on power level, rpm, and numerous other things like how strong the parts are.

What he said

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Minor motor. When the stars didn't align that day.
Spun the mains in the block. Block had to be sent back to have all the block saddles welded up and line bore. Not mine....

When "Everything" spins clear out of the car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Here’s hoping you never find out first hand what it means Smile

Just wanted to add that it doesn’t have to be a main bearing, a rod bearing can spin too. That can be what a “rod knock” is, when a rod bearing spins it opens up lots of clearance and the rod knocks against the crank when it changes direction loud enough to hear it.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Here’s hoping you never find out first hand what it means Smile

Just wanted to add that it doesn’t have to be a main bearing, a rod bearing can spin too. That can be what a “rod knock” is, when a rod bearing spins it opens up lots of clearance and the rod knocks against the crank when it changes direction loud enough to hear it.

Yep
Just that description makes me cringe........

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As said before when no oil in the brg it welds it to the crank and spins with it, usually its a rod or 2 on the same journal, cranks can be fixed but sometimes it takes a rod(or 2 and the block) if it goes really bad, can go from from a crank fix and some rods or a new short block, depends on what RPM it happens at...

Posts: 606 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
There wasn't really a spun bearing. I just wanted to post carnage pics.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
what is spun bearing ? Death to rod and most of the time to the crank. Simplest answer it s expensive biotch.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Regan,I thought that was a high dollar oil pan with "Extra" drain back holes. Lol

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
My old engine out of my dragster. Was on a killer run, 80lbs of oil pressure. At about 1000ft, it nosed over and felt like I hit the brakes. Just as I was pulling my foot off the gas, I heard the bang, then vibrated hard enough to blur my vision. I shut it off and coasted off the track...Holes in both sides of the oil pan. Had oil pressure until there wasn't any left in the pan to pump. Spun 7&8, broke #7 rod in half. Took a while to figure out what happened, it was the particular bearing I was running. Have another racer friend that was killing mains the same way and was running the same bearings. He had the crank manufacturer look at things and that's how he found out. Switched bearings and no more issues. Same here....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
Regan,I thought that was a high dollar oil pan with "Extra" drain back holes. Lol

It drained from about 1300' to the end of the shutdown. I'm sure it delayed the final rounds of that bracket race at Hallsville Raceway till the following weekend. We actually saved the oil pan. Those heads in the pic were old Bow Tie heads that Kenneth Abbott did for me back in 1995. They flowed 413 at 800 lift. That little 565 made 950hp back in 2001.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
It wasn't a CB-743 HN was it?. That decided to leave the area?. Any signs of detonation was there?. L19 only. Handling, never an issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I was running King Hp mains, never an issue. Rods were King XP bearings. Was running them because I had mid ordered so figured they would be ok. Other racing buddy was running the same. Turns out they were delaminating then would "grab" the crank and at that point it was game over. That was my third pass on those bearings. My buddy was getting about the same, 3-5 passes before boom. King HP never an issue.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I was running King Hp mains, never an issue. Rods were King XP bearings. Was running them because I had mid ordered so figured they would be ok. Other racing buddy was running the same. Turns out they were delaminating then would "grab" the crank and at that point it was game over. That was my third pass on those bearings. My buddy was getting about the same, 3-5 passes before boom. King HP never an issue.

XP as in the coated bearing?

DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Spun rod bearings come from a lack of bearing crush ( provided you don't have an oiling issue ).

When assembling a connecting rod, bearing crush and clamp load are critical. The correct bearing crush is achieved when there is sufficient clamp load. If there’s too little clamp load, the big end bore of the connecting rod can distort and cause premature bearing or bolt failure. Proper clamp load is achieved by stretching the fastener properly loading it to it's designed stretch.

Once the bearing looses crush it will move. If it moves even a small amount the oiling hole is partially closed which will create an oiling issue and result in the rod bearing continuing to rotate until the oiling hole is blocked. Destruction is just an instant away.

The only thing after that is the pictures you get to share on the internet...

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
The word “spun” comes from the insert, called the bearing, actually turning in the bore of the block main or connecting rod big end. When happy, the insert is kept from spinning by being compressed slightly in the bore and with an alignment tab. When the insert is being destroyed, as described above, it over heats, liberates metal and is permanently damaged to the point it starts to “spin” in the bore. At around that point the crank pin is overheated and damaged. Frictional forces increase dramatically to the point a rod or crank will fail and fly apart, if not caught.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12151 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
The word “spun” comes from the insert, called the bearing, actually turning in the bore of the block main or connecting rod big end. When happy, the insert is kept from spinning by being compressed slightly in the bore and with an alignment tab. When the insert is being destroyed, as described above, it over heats, liberates metal and is permanently damaged to the point it starts to “spin” in the bore. At around that point the crank pin is overheated and damaged. Frictional forces increase dramatically to the point a rod or crank will fail and fly apart, if not caught.

This exactly. A few years back I learned the hard way that a dragster needs a billet oil pump. At about 700’ into a run it felt like the engine “tightened up” and nosed over. I immediately took my foot out of it and shut it off. When I took it apart the melling pump pickup was laying in the pan. #1 journal on the crank got hot but luckily I clicked it off before any bearings spun. Had to turn the rod journals .010, put it back together and the crank broke at the first journal 60 passes later. No doubt due to being turned.

Now all three of our engines have Moroso billet oil pumps.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post