DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Locking dipstick for oil pan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locking dipstick for oil pan
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone know if a locking dipstick is an NHRA rqmnt for engine oil pan in a 10 sec. bracket car?

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Nope. Only for trans and only if sub 10.00.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Me engine guy told me only a dipstick uses a dipstick...just saying...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Only requirement I've seen is for the transmission.

I did a modification to my engine dipstick mainly to help keep it sealed. I put a spark plug boot over the handle and when installed, the boot seals over the tube. It's enough to keep the crankcase from leaking when in a vacuum.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

No dipstick here.... never had a problem without it.....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When I installed the Moroso vacuum pump (with the accompanying puke tank) I found it necessary to check the oil level in the pan so the dip stick became a necessary item. When not checking the oil level I remove the dip stick and cover the end of the tube with a vacuum cap to seal the end. Although the amount of oil pulled into the puke tank is very small, over time and a lot of runs it can easily amount to more than a quart.

While I respect the opinions voiced I’ll keep the dip stick for safety reasons.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy have a cracked oil pan and a diaper, slowly lost quite a bit of oil and not a drop on the ground! I'll keep my dipstick.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of MM Racing
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL I don't run a dipstick but that's not why. I lost it! Laughing Hard

-Phil Watkins
Midnight Machine Racing

Posts: 133 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MM Racing:
quote:

LOL I don't run a dipstick but that's not why. I lost it! Laughing Hard

Laughing Hard

That's a good one.....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post