DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission overheat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission overheat
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Ok I am bored and it will be a couple weeks before I tear trans out so here is the question.
Has anybody ever had trans overheat and car slow up? I was running at the classic couple weeks ago and the car was printing slips then in semi finals the car slows up two but same mph. In the finals it starts pushing some fluid out the breather and it slows up two more but same mph again. It was losing it all by 60’ cone but wasn’t spinning. Next day it’s printing slips again but 3 slower than normal. Trans is coming out and getting freshened and also gonna put a cooler on it this winter just sitting in a tree hunting and bored.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green1,

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Actually I find that interesting. I think you do have an overheating issue going on so quite possibility you have some extra slippage occurring which is contributing to the slower ET. We have one car that the hotter the trans gets (within limits) the more it picks up, sometimes as much as .002 over the course of later runs.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of wvdragracer
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like possible converter issue, especially if Fluid did not show any burn.

Posts: 19 | Location: Mannington WV | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Clint I fought this issue for a large part of the season this year. Lost many semi and final due to car slowing down. The new converter I put in this season was very loose and I guess that was causing it to build more heat. The car was deadly until the late rounds. I finally put a larger cooler on it that had a fan on it that comes on at 180 degrees and switched over to hydraulic oil to try and tighten converter a bit, but was told it would run a little cooler too. From that point on the car never fell off anymore even when doubled. The fan would be running when I get back from a pass and by the time I topped off with fuel, it would shutoff. So yes, the tranny temp can cause it to slow down, I do believe that is probably signs of needing a freshen up too, as I am getting that done this winter myself.

Posts: 152 | Location: St.Louis | Registered: May 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well I did put a looser converter in it in August. Never did it year before racing in summer heat with a 300 rpm tighter spragless converter.
I have a cooler for it with a fan just couldn’t put it where I was planning on and forgot about it this past winter. I wasn’t having issues before so I just went with the lines looped. I will be installing the cooler this winter.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was in the same Clint, had no issues with the converter before, but with the looser one it for sure is making more heat. Funny thing is, I had bought my cooler with fan on it months earlier too, but once I put it on it was fine.
On a different note, I saw you at Norwalk for the No Box race and was going to come over and introduce myself, but never made it over. Your car flies!

Posts: 152 | Location: St.Louis | Registered: May 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You shoulda stopped by, I always take time to meet other racers from here when I can.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Change the fluid out and put synthetic in-Problem might be fixed Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Gonna freshen it no matter what. It has to come out so I can duplicate mods so my spare trans fits so gonna have it freshened while it’s out, it’s been a few years since freshened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green1,

DRR Trophy
Picture of S_Wiech
posted Hide Post
needs a good cooler

Posts: 18 | Location: New Castle, PA | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I got one, sitting on the shelf. Big Grin

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Do you have a transmission temperature gauge by chance?

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Nope. Was another thing I was gonna install when I discovered I bought the wrong sensor and just said forget it.