DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    piece of metal any ideas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

piece of metal any ideas?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I found two small pieces on metal on top of the head. It is metal not alum Any Idea and what it might be? checked oil filter has silver looking. Havent had and oil pressure issue's. Something to worry about ? or just change oil and filter and go on?
cant post a pic .

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
PM me with pic attachment and i will post it if you can.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Link bad. PM sent Plenty in here that will help too. Good people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
clearer pics.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
if it were mine, the engine would be coming out.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
After checking the oil filter I will be pulling it out.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Best guess: off timing sprocket

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rocker arm pieces ?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I checked all the rocker arms, all looked good.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Check lash also? Maybe a lifter...unless you don't run roller lifters..

I agree with the take it apart idea...good luck

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Not a piece of a valve spring or retainer?
Guide boss?
I cant discern much from the pictures....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Valve spring material. Looks to be the dampener coil between the outer spring and the inner spring. Does it have dual springs with a dampener in them? If so i'd start looking at valve springs. Put a new set of springs on it check the rest, account for all missing pieces, install new springs roll on....

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Oil pump

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I pulled the engine out and got it on the stand. I will disassemble shortly and see whats going on. After cutting the filter open I found metal in it.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fasterat:
Oil pump

That was my thought as well.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
what kind of metal in filter,that pic looks like spring dampener to me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I pulled apart and found a Small set screw went thru intake. And stuck in the piston and made some Mark's on the piston and head. Also found the end of a valve spring. Checked all bearings and oil pump all looks good. I'm gona take my heads to the machine shop and get them checked out. No metal in the pan or in the block.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So were did the set screw come from throttle blades?

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
No throttle blade screws are still in it. I'm gona look inside the carb .

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be an a$$ but how does a set screw from inside the carb get inside the motor? Passages aren’t that big.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post