DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pro Topline 14* sbc heads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro Topline 14* sbc heads
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Anyone on here with any experience with this head? Have a brand new set of “as CNC” with intake (62cc chamber 254cc runner with 2.15/1.625 valve). As I’m rebuilding this 23* 434 I’m knocking stroke out and increasing bore to go 427” (to get NOS friendly compression height). If I go this far, I may ditch the Profiler 23* head for the 14s...but can’t find a lot of data on if they would be any faster.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Why not just knock timing back to 16 - 18? You're just running a little 375 shot, we ran 500 plus through a plate 434 compression height 6" rod. That thing run pretty good I wouldn't do any of that. 23 is the way nitrous sbc less finicky.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Why not just knock timing back to 16 - 18? You're just running a little 375 shot, we ran 500 plus through a plate 434 compression height 6" rod. That thing run pretty good I wouldn't do any of that. 23 is the way nitrous sbc less finicky.

You’re putting 500 on top of a 1” compression height piston? I’m reading at a minimum of 1.150 and 1.250 being what will live.

My thought is if I have put pistons and rods in this might as well make as much power as we can...without spending a ton of money.

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

And I don’t want to be limited to a 37 jet...44 is ideally where we want to run. Like to see this deal go 4.0’s

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OhiomafiaWireGuy:
quote:

And I don’t want to be limited to a 37 jet...44 is ideally where we want to run. Like to see this deal go 4.0’s

10 4 I'd put a 5.85 rod in it, pistons and fix the head, roll it 23 Profiler juz say'n ran good.

I wouldn't be afraid 44 anymore or less a 3.875 stroke sbc.

Call Diamond pistons.

Fairly simple repair job.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a suggestion. Hate to see you spend a bunch a unneeded money when it showed promise small jet.

No matter how ya do it, nitrous or HP in general require maintenance.

Leaner tunes over timed keeps em alive longer (modern tunes). We run ours 18 on a 300 shot cheater plate.

Good luck!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone on here with any experience with this head? Have a brand new set of “as CNC” with intake (62cc chamber 254cc runner with 2.15/1.625 valve). As I’m rebuilding this 23* 434 I’m knocking stroke out and increasing bore to go 427” (to get NOS friendly compression height). If I go this far, I may ditch the Profiler 23* head for the 14s...but can’t find a lot of data on if they would be any faster.

I have not personally used them but have never heard of anyone making them run fast in a drag race application. I have no idea why, but my 15 degree stuff was pretty fast back in the day. I never sprayed it so I have no idea what the tuning window would be. Had a buddy that sprayed a 13* brodix motor and was always putting head gaskets in it.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think the heads are a variant the old Trans Am version. Paul Genilozzi used them in the late 90s.They advertised intake flow 0f 364; exhaust was 260. They made a bunch of different versions.

I ran a 375 3.50 stroke with the 285cc for four seasons. It went 8.08/8.10 at 1860 lbs. The engine was originally built as a road race piece, I changed the cam and ran it. It had a leaky head gasket the second season due to the wrong head studs used by the original engine builder. It needed more thread engagement for the aluminum Dart block. It had studs for cast block when I bought it. Put new Dart head studs, resurfaced the heads and used MLS head gaskets. No issues after that with the engine.

Chevy 18 degree intakes will work if 0.500 spacers are used instead of the original Pro Action phenolic versions.

Rob

Posts: 110 | Location: Toronto | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We have a buddy who went Trick Flow 18 degree 434 sbc. He'd have the heads off it every race throwing pistons at it going 4.90's 3050 lbs (Ultra Street). If you asked him, he'd suggest the 23 degree Profiler head you have, I'd bet.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a buddy who went Trick Flow 18 degree 434 sbc. He'd have the heads off it every race throwing pistons at it going 4.90's 3050 lbs (Ultra Street). If you asked him, he'd suggest the 23 degree Profiler head you have, I'd bet.

In your opinion is there an ideal compression ration to stay around?

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In your opinion is there an ideal compression ration to stay around?

Under 13.5:1, all said and done.