New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lesson Learned
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
this is what happens when you're a moron, have no concern for safety and it becomes all about show and go only!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oO226PgSkg

poor decisions and irresponsibility could have lead to multiple deaths.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
wonder if reverse would have worked. OUCH

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t have been any worse if he threw it in reverse.

That said, you can be sure there are countless bracket racers competing every week with marginal brakes and throttles that hang up.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
That's why I have 2 separate systems. Wink

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
wait...you're supposed to check that stuff??

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
only wearing a lap belt was real smart to. the first thing i noticed was the face plant on the dash.

ep-

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Dragster got a second brake system installed 2 years ago, handbrake system. After watching this, it seriously makes me think how hard could it be to buy a dual caliper bracket for the rear end and a simple handbrake bracket/master cylinder to put within reach in our door car.. I know my brother as well as I grab the handbrake in the dragster at least once every race day to help slow down anyway but to get in good practice to reach for it after a pass. It's also good knowing that using it often you are essentially "testing" the system in case of emergency also.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Thru the entire video he never mentioned the condition of the people in the van they hit.

My bet is they were already paid off, that video would be a gold mine in the court room

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I thought maybe he could have put the car into a spin, but there wasn't a lot of time for considering options.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Similar incident happened to me at new england dragway.Half way down the shutdown i completely lost my footbrake.Thank god for my handbrake saved my butt.
Cause ?Brake fluid that had not been flushed out in years, boiled and created the failure.When i got back to the pits i got my pedal back.
Its obvious this guy riding the brakes boiled the brake fluid which was probably 17 years old as he stated.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am helping a few new drivers learn racing right now. One of the very first things I told them is to have a plan for losing brakes, sticking Throttle or Fire and you better know how to do it at night on fire and at speed and with oil in your face. I told them go over it over and over so you know what to do with out thinking and do it quickly. Kill Ignition, fuel pump, throw out parachute, hit fire bottle and if all else fails throw it in neutral and hope rev limiter catches it but do not crash! I also told them do not ever get in a car that does not have a diaper on it.

I saw that video a few weeks ago and it had fail all over it. They even had cruise car with them video. There was not reason not to pull over and tow it back or what ever. That was stupid and should not have happened IMHO. If you have a problem with high RPM and bad brakes it was not going to get better. Was a nice car and he does not have anyone to blame but himself.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My scoop tray turned sideways and jammed my throttle cable at 160+MPH
I was running a Terminator and had a couple seconds to think...pulled fuel shutoff....car slowed right down no problem
The scoop tray mount could not turn on a carb but it could on a Terminator and I missed that little detail!

I added a hand brake system to my RaceTech right after I bought it....

2 sets of brakes and a diaper...would not race without those 2 things once I started going faster with more power

Boiled my brakes twice in my old car.....singe set of calipers...

Not fun when your left foot goes right to the floor even on the return road.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I always told my kid if all else fails put it in 1st gear and hit the trans brake. that will stop it. Trans is cheaper then a car.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Two sets of brakes, that is a good one. On my old Altered when I got it had rear wheel brakes only. I added front brakes then later added a second set of calipers on rear with a separate master cylinder and hand brake just in case of a brake failure.

A separate master and brakes may not have been that good or easy to do on this car but he should have had a back up plan and he should have shut it off when he knew throttle and brakes were acting up.

That wreck should have never happened. IMHO.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I lost b rakes at finish line a couple of years back. Went straight to the floor. Pulled it into 1st and prepaired to roll it if I didn't slow enough. It slowed enough to get it off the track OK. Failed brake line! I had my harness on, helmet tight, and NHRA certified cage and had no fear if I had to roll it. Sh it happens.

Posts: 6189 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
He didn't want to race it on a track because he didn't want to crash it or hit a wall.
High performance car with a low performance driver with too much money.

Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
My scoop tray turned sideways and jammed my throttle cable at 160+MPH
I was running a Terminator and had a couple seconds to think...pulled fuel shutoff....car slowed right down no problem
The scoop tray mount could not turn on a carb but it could on a Terminator and I missed that little detail!

I added a hand brake system to my RaceTech right after I bought it....

2 sets of brakes and a diaper...would not race without those 2 things once I started going faster with more power

Boiled my brakes twice in my old car.....singe set of calipers...

Not fun when your left foot goes right to the floor even on the return road.....

To expand on the scoop jamming the throttle wide open, we know of a death that was attributed to that happening at Atco. I was in the lanes when it happened but others said the scoop did something during the run.
RIP JL.

It also happened to a friend of mine but he was fortunate to stop the car.

To add to the brakes situation, I had the brake rod fall out from the center of the master cylinder and drop to keep the piston engaged in my door car. It locked the brakes.
Luckily it happened in the burnout box. I made a bracket to prevent that from happening again.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
If Auto transmission, plug it in reverse or park. If trans has a TB stick it back low and hit the TB.
Beautiful car such a shame. Hopefully no injuries to all involved.

Years ago I did a burnout in a blind alley behind Art Carrs transmission shop in my Fiat BBC altered. I hit the brakes and brake went to the floor. Jammed it in park and stopped safely as possible under the situation.
Old Airheart brake caliper broke off.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
He did throw it in park @ 5:24, made no difference. Bottom line is he had inadequate brakes and they weren’t functioning properly. What we know is He stated the rotors were just turned which means the pads weren’t bedded and he admitted to riding the brakes which most likely boiled the 17 y/o fluid. I’ll assume he also had one or more or all of the following… incorrect pedal ratio, incorrect brake bias, incorrect master cylinder, incorrect brakes lines, air in the system.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Trying for park won’t work will either just ratchet like it did or it’ll lock in then break park pall when I saw this a few weeks ago thought lots of fail all over first or reverse and stab throttle to prevent it from just stalling but that would’ve been another thing to do kill the engine to reduce it from being under power to many people don’t think have to always be looking for escape route

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post