DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SBC distributor ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBC distributor ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
How do you guys set the distributor depth? Other words the proper gear mesh depth to the cam? Messing with shims etc.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'd think you'd want 1/16 or so minimum oil pump drive end-play; with the pan off this is easy to check if not at least see if the dist will fully seat down without a gasket. Actually, this is usually pretty forgiving; as long as the mesh pattern is fully within the dist gear, raising or lowering the dist a tad will just cause the pattern to move up and down with it.

Posts: 80 | Location: central Calif | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Use shims or double up the gasket. It is a fairly forgiving thing.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
buy an adj.collar dist if you had your block decked and or heads milled. Doing one or both changes the intake angle and height and can make the dist gear sit up to high and not mesh and send metal from the dist gear being chewed up through your motor, and will cause the oil pump shaft to not fully engage into dist shaft. Ask me how i know.

Posts: 39 | Location: 3rd rock | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Wooley I have doubled the gasket before. If I turn the motor upside down with the distributor bolted down,I thought about putting white grease on the gears and checking engagement. I tend to check little things more than most. Smile Wooley did you do Reynolds this weekend?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Didn't get to race this weekend, had some dental surgery earlier in the week so best to pass.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have some gear marking compound that works. I usually use metal marking the aka layout dye. I can get that at Napa local.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I like to bottom the oil pump drive then raise it with a double gasket. Done.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1614 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of David Friedenberg
posted Hide Post
If you have an adjustable slip collar, loosen it up, move it up about a 1/2". Install the distributor all the way down. Move the collar down to the manifold.
Tighten the clamp, remove and install a gasket. Reinstall.

Don't make it harder than it is!

Posts: 850 | Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post