DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Forward exit header
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forward exit header
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
If anyone is running a forward exit header let me hear from you. I am considering doing so. It would for sure solve several clearance problems.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Look at doing it just behind the front wheel and above the frame rail.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
In the "New Build for 2023" thread here in tech talk, Fabman built his headers that way.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't this design put much more heat under the hood?

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think the under-hood heat is a potential issue. But with a coated header it may not be a problem.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Monte, if you look at the Super-10 fender well headers the under-hood exposure is about the same.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
When I built my truck last year(stock chassis) I used a set of up and foward exit headers that some use for turbo installs. I do not have the turbos yet but ran most of the year with the exhaust coming out in front of the front tires. Under hood heat has not been an issue but I have a open grill with no radiator in front. The one thing I love is less heat in the driver’s seat and seems a lot quieter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1leg,

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 239 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I use the Schoenfelds on my S10. Heat is not a factor that makes a difference in my opinion. My truck printed tickets better than most the last two seasons. I had them partially wrapped with tape to protect hood paint but this season I had them coated and am not worried about it. If you think about it, the headers are probably a more consistent temp than the air through the radiator. Just saying- my truck was damn good.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Larry,
I use the Schoenfelds on my S10. Heat is not a factor that makes a difference in my opinion. My truck printed tickets better than most the last two seasons. I had them partially wrapped with tape to protect hood paint but this season I had them coated and am not worried about it. If you think about it, the headers are probably a more consistent temp than the air through the radiator. Just saying- my truck was damn good.
Jok

We found keeping the bay closed at all times resulted in the most consistent runs. We started doing it when running E85 & continued when we went back to C12. This was not an S10, but using uncoated headers.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Call me stupid, but I don't see any way that the Schoenfeld S10 forward exit headers in the photo with the long sections of tubing right about valve cover level do not add significant heat to that area. I do believe ceramic coating can help but after a pass in Texas in July that is still going to be one hot s o b.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Monte, I am checking into having Jabbo at the NASA fab shop built a set of space shuttle heat shield valve covers.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Awesome, now Jabbo has it going on.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have a set of customs built that go under the frame rails and not cut a hole in the fender costly but worth it, I have over $1500 in mine, std 23* sbc but I can change every plug and not pull the steering shaft to take the headers off money well spent.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I understand everyone has their opinions. The headers I use from Schoenfeld cost about $450.00. and that pays a lot of entry fees. I build for function first and cost is always a concern. I run the truck pretty hot, 170-180 and having hot valve covers is of no concern, maybe it warms the oil better? Look, I have made 17 runs in a day, double entered, and had zero issues because of the headers. I do think the consistent exhaust temp heats helps, not hurts consistency. Just my opinion. I let the ET Slips tell me what the truck needs.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jok, I think your comments about are heat are valid, especially with Methanol. Plus, at my advanced age and on fixed income, I must spend wisely. Two local builders told me $2600.00 plus for custom headers. That is simply too much for this build.

Besides, I am always looking to be different, but in today's race world, front exhaust is not that different.

Larry Woodfin