DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What tranny cooler is everybody using on a dragster without getting hot.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What tranny cooler is everybody using on a dragster without getting hot.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What tranny cooler is everybody using on a dragster without getting hot. I recently busted a b&m flat style cooler and changed to a b&m canister which hold 3 xtra quarts and still got hot. Would it be in trans or convertor causes heat or what steps do I need to check and eliminate. In a dragster with 498 bbc with cooler mounted to trans with small fan on it.

Posts: 29 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have the canister and that definitely isn't the solution. It is fine for the rare times I use my dragster, but I don't think it would want to be double-entered all the time.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run both the B&M trans cooler and the canister. I don't usually get hot unless I'm still doubled up in the later rounds with little to no time to cool. In that case, I have the jones cooling system to cool it in the lanes.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If budget allows the Jones cooling system is a good investment.

as far as the cooler goes, get the biggest one you can fit in the space and it should have it's own fan.

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a regular old b&m stacked plate cooler with a fan. A few weeks ago two TT and 7 rounds varied from 124 to 164 staging this is in high gear only. I do cool the converter with a leaf blower when the rounds start going fast.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Large stacked B&M unit with fan mounted on top, I run the fan when the engine is running and try to keep the fluid cool. -6 AN lines from trans to cooler and the trans is modded to allow a bit more fluid pass through the fittings. I can normally keep in the 150-170 range. Also use a 50/50 mix of F and Synthetic.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
This is what I run and it has worked well. My transmission guy told me often if you have a ringless input shaft they will often run real hot because they do not circulate fluid through the converter very good where the heat is created. I am lower power so do not have to run the ringless input shaft and have no problems.
https://www.summitracing.com/p.../mor-41205/overview/

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not a dragster guy but going on three years in this ride without a cooler and no issues. Having said that I will be changing trans next week. Big Grin

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How hot is too hot and where are you measuring?

Last time out I saw a peak of 199 in my canister and 215 in the converter. Measured with a gun. I feel like that is high but not too high.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Too hot is when the clutches start to slip. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green1,

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not dragster but I'm my car I double alot.

With Jones cooler I can take my 210 degree trans to 160 in about 6 to 8 minutes.

For those with racepak or dataloggers most of the heat I've seen is on the return road. Going down the strip my car gains only 2 degrees typically. On the return road it will climb 35 to 40.

When I hit the pits or Lanes in late rounds I just got the pump and fan and let it do it's thing. Shut it all of at 160... And repeat.

Without it later rounds I was always around 190-200.. Up to 230 at times.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I haven't been running a cooler but installing a Shogun can that I have before I go out again...I also put a fan on the converter in the pits....Never had an issue with trans temp though, even running a ringless shaft....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post