DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Belt drive fuel pump question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt drive fuel pump question
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
Saturday morning, it's raining, the European finals from Santa Pod is streaming and this happened.

Carb pondering.
IF large fuel bowls could contain enough fuel to complete a run would this eliminate the need for a fuel pump?

Could this also eliminate floats and needles and seats?

Just mount a fuel tank on either side of the carb. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6381 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Need to do what I do when idea pops up, lay on couch till it passes LOL

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
There is that.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. Got 3 passes friday night. 6.50 setup. 4.5# idle pressure, 8# wide open First pass was .09 60ft(yeah, sure) 5.80 at 97mph coasting thru (believe that 5.80 too). Front float set too low, ran out gas.
Next two were 6.45's, no hesitation or burbling, came on 2 step clean.
Looks like it's fixed, thanks again

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saturday morning, it's raining, the European finals from Santa Pod is streaming and this happened.

Carb pondering.
IF large fuel bowls could contain enough fuel to complete a run would this eliminate the need for a fuel pump?

Could this also eliminate floats and needles and seats?

No you would still need fuel pump, needles and seat. The float level changes how much fuel goes into motor. The higher the float level the less it has to suck to draw the fuel into motor. So A lower float level = leaner.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3994 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Curly,
It's not injected.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Dave, when the bowl runs empty, it gets leaner, trust me Smile

Dave

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
of course it does.
My oddball scenario was IF there was a big enough bowl to supply a whole run would all the other stuff be needed? In other words enough volume to keep the jets covered up.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
of course it does.
My oddball scenario was IF there was a big enough bowl to supply a whole run would all the other stuff be needed? In other words enough volume to keep the jets covered up.

I don't know about eliminating the NEED for that stuff, but I do know that the tuneup (according to the engine) does change based on fuel pressure to the bowls.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
you mean atmospheric pressure don't you?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
you mean atmospheric pressure don't you?

Call it what you will, but on the dyno my engine's output will change simply by changing the pressure up or down on my BLP internally-regulated belt pump. I assume that the bowls have sufficient volume for all pulls.

In your theoretical, the engine would just be taking what it needs without a push, although force could be influenced by the amount of fuel in these bowls and placement of the jets within them.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Weight/volume of the fuel has something to do with it for sure.

I would think that if the float does it's job, the bowl has enough capacity and the pump supplies the required amount that the volume/weight would stay the same. Guess not.

I am just waiting for someone to put a sensor on the bowl itself and tell me what they see.