Bracket Talk
Belt drive fuel pump question

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/5287096186

September 02, 2018, 08:26 AM
speedwrench44
Belt drive fuel pump question
I run a door car with a carbed BBC with a belt drive pump. Present setup has poppet valve on return line set at 9#. car idles at 6# and stays at 9# with rpm up. Been running this setup for about 2 years
Started having occasional flooding when go on brake.
Question is am I deadheading the pump at 6#?
Friend suggested I take spring and piston out and just run a jet, that the pressure needs to be about 1-2# at idle.
Or do I need a return regulator at the carb?
Anyone with experience with this setup flame away

Dave
September 02, 2018, 08:37 AM
Cashflow
I really like my Aeromotive return style regulator. Stays at about 7.5 lbs. down track according to the Racepak. There are several ways to skin a cat.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
September 02, 2018, 09:54 AM
team
Have you weighed your floats lately?
September 02, 2018, 09:59 AM
Curly1
quote:
Originally posted by team:
Have you weighed your floats lately?

I think you are on right track there. Check out needles and seats, floats and verify fuel pressure at the carb. Too much fuel pressure or needles and seats / floats are bad. Also if float level is too high it can cause issues.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
September 02, 2018, 10:47 AM
speedwrench44
That's what l thought. New floats and needle & seats both ends, lasted 4 runs and done it to me again, in the semi final

Dave
September 02, 2018, 11:30 AM
Dave Koehler
quote:
Originally posted by speedwrench44:
I run a door car with a carbed BBC with a belt drive pump. Present setup has poppet valve on return line set at 9#. car idles at 6# and stays at 9# with rpm up. Been running this setup for about 2 years
Started having occasional flooding when go on brake.
Question is am I deadheading the pump at 6#?
Friend suggested I take spring and piston out and just run a jet, that the pressure needs to be about 1-2# at idle.
Or do I need a return regulator at the carb?
Anyone with experience with this setup flame away

The spring handles your idle pressure.
The jet controls the high end pressure.
No, you are not deadheading it.
Pump is capable of over 200 lbs at rpm.
The only way you could over pressure and you would see it on your gauge is if the return check valve was stuck or the hose plugged up.

Nothing like that? It's a carb issue.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.
September 02, 2018, 02:00 PM
k107
quote:
Originally posted by k107:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by speedwrench44:
That's what l thought. New floats and needle & seats both ends, lasted 4 runs and done it to me again, in the semi final
Might want to check area in the bowl where the o ring on the needle and seat seals for pitting or corosion.
September 02, 2018, 02:29 PM
team
Are your inlet and bypass lines the same size?
September 02, 2018, 05:43 PM
speedwrench44
Pump inlet -10, line to carb and bypass both -8.

I did change primary bowl about month ago due to stripped inlet.
Forgot rule #1. Undo whatever you did last will probably fix it

Dave
September 02, 2018, 05:58 PM
team
Two more questions,
1. Do you use a starting line enhancer or do you control when it goes wide open?
2. Is this an alcohol carb?
September 03, 2018, 07:33 AM
speedwrench44
No SLE, E85

Dave
September 03, 2018, 09:20 AM
team
When it goes to 9 psi the floats aren't controlling the fuel level any more. Since you have one needle and seat per bowl this is a band aid to prevent fuel starvation (on methanol). When you go on the brake you are dumping a large amount of fuel in the carb which the floats can't fully control, hence your occasional flooding. You could try the following to alleviate it:
--a SLE to prevent additional time on the brake dumping fuel
--adjusting the floats and/or fuel pressure since e85 doesn't need as much fuel as methanol
September 03, 2018, 09:40 AM
Curly1
If the poppet valve is set at 9 PSI then it probably has some small shims in there to increase pressure. Remove one or two of the thin ones to lower pressure to maybe 8 or so.

If you are sure the carb is good then go back and look at fuel pressure.

Yes, you should always run a return style regulator but your poppet valve is your return regulator here and you can adjust it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
September 03, 2018, 02:02 PM
Dave Koehler
Sorry Curly, That won't work. It has a really weak spring in there and the poppet is wide open as the rpm comes up. The jet dictates the high pressure. Bigger jet, lower high pressure.

You did note the 9 lbs that I missed in the first post.
Isn't 9 lbs the traditional max for a carb if one is lucky and the gauge doesn't lie?

As I remember history the 9 lbs came around due to not having the pumps we have available today.

Speed. Drop it to 8 lbs.

September 04, 2018, 07:12 AM
speedwrench44
Thanks for the advice. This is my first belt drive so I'm learning.
No shims in poppet valve.
Plan is to change out bowl again and enlarge jet to lower fuel pressure.
And you're right Dave, over 50 years messing with this stuff I thought
9# was the magic number going down the track

Thanks again

Dave
September 04, 2018, 08:55 AM
TomR
I've had similar problems in the past.

Here is my .02

As rpm increases so does fuel pressure. 9# is fine under WOT but when you lift, it floods over and pushes past the needle and seat. This is because the rpm is dropping gradually, once the pressure drops below the N&S threshold it should clear up.

I would increase the bypass pill .010 to reduce the pressure at WOT to 8 or less. I run mine at 7.5 lbs now with no issues.

72 Nova "Hooptie"
September 05, 2018, 07:35 AM
Dave Koehler
I just remembered another old trick for improved fuel delivery on a carb. You know those windows in the needle and seat where the fuel comes in?
Try to line those up with the incoming fuel hose.

Observation.
I have always been impressed with how those dual needle and seat bowls solve a lot of the usual issues with alky or gasoline carbs.

When you get down to it, available volume without frothing in the bowl is the key to effective tuning and not so much the pressure on the incoming side of the needle and seat.

September 05, 2018, 08:52 AM
Wooley
You said you are on e85. My little experience with it is that e85 foams easily at higher pressures. On my car I had issues at anything above 6.5lbs. Lowered pressure to 5.5 used .130 stainless steel needle and seat the lined up the inlet Windows like Dave said and got much better results. I am however useing a magnfuel 500 electric pump with a aeromotive a2000 bypass regulator. #10lines in and out of regulator with #8 to the bowls.
September 08, 2018, 08:15 AM
speedwrench44
Thanks guys. Bigger jet lowered fuel pressure to 8# max, float level set at bottom sight glasses, try it tonight if weather permits.

Dave
September 08, 2018, 10:17 AM
Dave Koehler
Saturday morning, it's raining, the European finals from Santa Pod is streaming and this happened.

Carb pondering.
IF large fuel bowls could contain enough fuel to complete a run would this eliminate the need for a fuel pump?

Could this also eliminate floats and needles and seats?