DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    PG -What could cause this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG -What could cause this?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted
After a run yesterday car would barely move in low gear. Felt like I was holding the brakes while trying to go. High gear worked fine. Drove back to trailer in high gear. Gave it a once over but didn’t find anything obvious. Shift linkage lined up in low gear, trans fluid looks fine. Made another run and everything seems to work fine.

Car has been moving 3-4 numbers the last two races which is very unusual. This all has me leaning towards a transmission issue.

Pulled the solenoid today and pushed valve in and out with a screw driver and it seems to move freely.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a similar issue and the band was misapplying due to servo sticking/leaking.

Posts: 11 | Location: Here | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Had a warped valve body do it before.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When the shifter is in low gear, its charging both low and high gear intermittently. There's three probable causes of this. Pull it and carry it to your transmission guy. Most probable it'll need high clutches, servo rings and a band.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Pulled it tonight and shipping it tomorrow. Hate to. It’s probably something simple but I’m just wasting gas otherwise. Fluid looks and smells perfect.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
You need to check the clip on the servo apply rod. Make sure it is still on. Remove the servo cover and you will see it. If not here check the lower sealing ring on the pump and make sure lube oil is not leaking into the high drum!!!

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will put .50 cents on a broken gearset just cause it happened to me lol , please let us all know and good luck hope its an easy fix

Posts: 5 | Location: gap pa. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
While the trans is out I think it would be wise to send the converter to be checked.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the information and advice. I pulled it and sent both the trans and converter in for rebuild. Unfortunately, lead time is a little longer than I had hoped.
Last rebuild was only 3 years ago so that's a little disapppointing, but such is life with a race car!

Matt Ward

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Could be:

valve body internal leak
case to valve body leak
pump gasket
servo issue (clip, ring, etc).
broken planets
snap ring came out of the reverse clutch

You did good by letting someone else handle it, however the wait time doesn't sound too nice. Hopefully they'll get it lined out quickly.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Trans builder said pump is worn out, gearset has 2 broken gears and band needs replaced. Several other problems mentioned as well. Will post results when I get it back. I guess parts don't last forever.

I'm thinking about adding a pressure gauge. Builder said I should connect to the servo cover to monitor line pressure. Anybody else doing this? Hopefully use as a diagnostic since I've wasted this race season with transmission problems. I'd like to catch problmes early.

Matt Ward

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I run a pressure check 3 times a season. Part of maintenance. 240 and away we go. Do you run the Sonnax servo? This corrects the Pin bias issues that has plagued the PG.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I log my transmission pressure and the cooler pressure. Hoping it will give me an indication when something isn't right.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
Trans builder said pump is worn out, gearset has 2 broken gears and band needs replaced. Several other problems mentioned as well. Will post results when I get it back. I guess parts don't last forever.

I'm thinking about adding a pressure gauge. Builder said I should connect to the servo cover to monitor line pressure. Anybody else doing this? Hopefully use as a diagnostic since I've wasted this race season with transmission problems. I'd like to catch problmes early.

Spend the money now on good internals and save some headaches down the road. I have been fortunate that only thing I have broken in trans has been I put shafts in the last 18 years. First one lasted twelve years.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
ok who is gonna send me my .50 cents ? im glad you found it and it probably didn't hurt your converter . cheers !

Posts: 5 | Location: gap pa. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post