DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Used Parts, When To Stop Using.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Parts, When To Stop Using.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
Back when I still lived in Michigan A bunch of us footbrakers had a long discussion on this. We all ran in the mid 11s to 12 flat range. Most of the cars were Mid size, think Chevelle or Fairlane here. Auto trans and the biggest tires we could run without back halfing.

The un scientific consensus was that at about 11.50 ET used parts weren't going to make you car any faster. A couple of guys could well afford to spend the money but, took the bucks down route as a challenge.

Let me clarify, we're talking swap meet parts or stuff we got from our buddies. Not used high end parts we send out to get reworked.

What is that point today? Is there one?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've set myself up well for 20 yrs of retirement racing. I've been hoarding big blocks and square port head for a while now. I can go 10.70 or better real cheap Big Grin
I always buy good deals, that's why I'm always broke.........

BY THE WAY Anyone have a 4.88/5.13 9" 35 spline center ??? I'd love to buy or borrow a used one before I buy good stuff.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run used parts for years only way I can afford to race and I run 7.90s in my dragster

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Funny story about used parts.

Old guy named Alan Starr( named our TA/FC Starr Rider after him) told me this. In 68 or 69 he raced off massaged used parts and was 60k up at end of year.Mostly match racing T/F. Next year Chevrolet dealer gave him 5 brand new motors. He of coarse reworked them to run top fuel. After second race he was out of new motors and racing his old junk to finish out year. My take was new means untested.

His moral of the story was. I should have switched to Hemi lot sooner. LOL Sorry guys but Hemi has stronger bottom end and this is from a guy he has been hardcore Chevy since about birth.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have run used parts a lot and had pretty good luck. Take from dirty Harry. Man has to know limit of his parts.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I have a lot used again parts in my engine. Stuff that makes it from one engine iteration to the next. But, I bought it new.

Our discussions happened at a time when there weren't as much used high end pieces floating around like there is now. Iron heads was as good as it was going to get then.

The point was that we were entry level racers then.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post