DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    M/T 3190w vs 3191w
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M/T 3190w vs 3191w
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I believe I'm going to put a pair of 3190W's on my Cobalt.

I’ve got the 3191s on my car. Can’t wait to try them out. Hoping to run some 4.90s. I have no clue where to start tire pressure wise

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I had the 3191's on the camaro. I then talked to the Mickey Thompson Tech's and got this:

"3190W is compounded for a door car and 3191W is compounded for dragsters. So generally we recommend this way, although you will always find racers who claim it works better the other way around. In our experience, an X8 compound tire works better on a lighter vehicle (dragster.)"

That being said, I had great luck from the 3191's on the camaro, but am going to try the 3190 now.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
How many of you that run either tire have beadlocks......Just curious...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My dad’s car has beadlocks.

Those of you trying the tire for the first time, it takes til about the 4th pass for the tire to get “broke in” from our experiences. So I wouldn’t be too concerned with tire pressure adjustments til a few passes are put on the tires.

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Beadlocks on both of my cars.

That being said, I had 3195’s on the dragster and I am going to 3191’s and going to 3190’s on the Camaro. I would not run them without beadlocks!

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
3190's on a slow dragster here, 6.5 lbs works well for me. Mine are on 16" wide bead locks.

There are a few guys up here that run them with screws. Rim width would make a difference i suspect.

The picture is 3190 on right, left is brand h on 15x15 rim. You could imagine how narrow they get on a burnout.

3190 is awesome tire, but it sounds like a 3191 would be even better for me.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
The 3190 is a stiff sidewalk tire. I’ve ran the 3191 running 450s without any issues

Both use the same sidewall construction, the only difference is the tread compound.

THE M/T WEB SITE INFO STATES THAT THE 3190 IS STIFFWALL CONSTRUCTION ??
I AM CURIOUS BECAUSE AT AROUND 40+ RUNS I STARTED GETTING TIRE SHAKE WITH THE 3191 WITH NO CHANGES TO THE SUSPENSION. THE M/T REP ADVISED ME TO USE THE 3191 ON MY FOUR LINK MILLER WITH A 1300 HP 632.

STATE CAPITOL RACEWAY
2017 QUICK-16 TRACK CHAMPION

Posts: 54 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CH.CRAFT:
quote:
quote:
The 3190 is a stiff sidewalk tire. I’ve ran the 3191 running 450s without any issues

Both use the same sidewall construction, the only difference is the tread compound.

I AM CURIOUS BECAUSE AT AROUND 40+ RUNS I STARTED GETTING TIRE SHAKE WITH THE 3191 WITH NO CHANGES TO THE SUSPENSION. THE M/T REP ADVISED ME TO USE THE 3191 ON MY FOUR LINK MILLER WITH A 1300 HP 632.
both the 90 and 91 are stiff sidewall, the website needs to updated. I'm a MT dealer and I've verified that info with everyone as high up as it gets at MT....

My thought is you may be running too low of pressure from the beginning which work over the sidewall too hard, or you are hitting the tire harder then you need to (too high of a chip). I've seen a lot of cars go quicker by softening the hit.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 70.5camaro
posted Hide Post
quote:
3191 was the same for me going 4.4-4.5's, 40 passes they went to junk, got worse when it got warm out too.... After M/T advising me to use the 3191 Two Thumbs down

Posts: 15 | Location: SW OK | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
70.5camaro stating the facts and speaking the truth. clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
My American is faster with 110.5" 3195, than it was with a 107" 3191. The little bubbas need more bite in the chassis than most newer cars have. Seems the older cars with power seem to be good with the 3190/3191.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CH.CRAFT:
quote:
quote:

both the 90 and 91 are stiff sidewall, the website needs to updated. I'm a MT dealer and I've verified that info with everyone as high up as it gets at MT....

My thought is you may be running too low of pressure from the beginning which work over the sidewall too hard, or you are hitting the tire harder then you need to (too high of a chip). I've seen a lot of cars go quicker by softening the hit.

HAVE BEEN RUNNING 5.7 TO 6.0 COLD PSI WITH A 4200 LAUNCH RPM.

STATE CAPITOL RACEWAY
2017 QUICK-16 TRACK CHAMPION

Posts: 54 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post