DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission doesn't shift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission doesn't shift
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Good evening. My 98 Chevy dually, 454 automatic, has an intermittent problem of not shifting out of low gear. I parked it until I can spare the $$$ on a rebuild. I did a search on another site recently and found info that suggests a bad ignition switch could be a possible cause. Can anyone give me more info about this, so I know what to look for, before I spend the money and time on changing it out?

So far, the shop I took it to hasn't come up with anything they could address without removing/rebuilding and they're unaware of any ignition switch causes. Until I come up with the $2700 disposable income for that, I'll continue using my spare tow rig.

Thanks and have a great weekend...
William Kilduff.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 107 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Back then there was a repair bulletin out that said to replace ignition switch. A lot cheaper than a transmission.

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
When it intermittently does shift out of low is everything else OK? Is the fluid burnt? If the fluid looks good and it works fine when it does shift it sounds electrical.

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
4L80E Transmission...start with the shift solenoids...

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohio_dragracer:
Back then there was a repair bulletin out that said to replace ignition switch. A lot cheaper than a transmission.

Better go ahead and put the switch in now, because the trans shop won't do it until after the $2700 part is already done. Don't be mad at 'em, no trans shop does "minor" repairs.

If it's a crew cab, not 4wd, I'm interested in a new to me truck.... Big Grin

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
When it intermittently does shift out of low is everything else OK? Is the fluid burnt? If the fluid looks good and it works fine when it does shift it sounds electrical.

When it does shift, it's just as thought there never was a problem.. Shop pulled valve body, cleaned it up and changed fluid. Worked great for 1 day, then the problem came back. I'll be changing out the switch next week.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 107 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

Better go ahead and put the switch in now, because the trans shop won't do it until after the $2700 part is already done. Don't be mad at 'em, no trans shop does "minor" repairs.

If it's a crew cab, not 4wd, I'm interested in a new to me truck.... Big Grin

It is a crew cab, but also 4wd. I'm so deep into this thing repair wise over the past 3 years, there's no way I could sell anyway. It may be worth half my investment once I replace the shredded interior, LOL... When it runs right, it is one bad arse machine though...

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. Much cheaper for sure. New switch coming next week.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm so deep into this thing repair wise over the past 3 years, there's no way I could sell anyway. It may be worth half my investment

And what would the payments and deprecation been on a $50k used truck over the last 3 years? Your money for nothin and you truck for free? I don't think so, and Dire Straits will back me up on that one. Good luck! Fingers Cross

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is it worse when it's cold and bangs hard when it finally shifts? I experienced this and replacing the two speed sensors fixed it. Good luck

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Could you run a turbo 400 in it temporarily?-Till you tear into the bad trans?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Is it worse when it's cold and bangs hard when it finally shifts? I experienced this and replacing the two speed sensors fixed it. Good luck

There's no difference from cold to hot and when it does shift, it's smooth. I'll check into the speed sensors as well, but keeping my fingers crossed it's the switch. Thanks.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:

I've been using my spare truck since this ones been down, so we can still get around. I don't know if a TH400 would swap in, but the only one I have is for a race car. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for that one.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hey. How many tow trucks have the stall your race car has,bet it would surprise the hell out of those pissed-off bumble bee cars at stoplights.

As for being in too deep on repairs, I feel your pain. I have a dodge 1500 that I am in the same situation on. To ruff to sale for anything half the way to what I have spent, so I have to drive it out.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
look under the drivers side of the truck at the wiring harness that passes through the transmission. Pull the connector apart and see if there is transmission fluid leaking into the connector. Harness can be replaced easily, and I think I bought the last OE one on Amazon.

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:

Can't imagine he could replace an electronic trans with a non-E. It likely would reject that unplugged connector like a new heart. But guessing on my part.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BTR69:
quote:

Thanks. Much cheaper for sure. New switch coming next week.

Be sure to update the repair.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Update to the moneypit... New ignition switch is in. Not quite the pain in the arse as I expected. Sadly, tranny still not shifting. Well, actually shifted properly for the 1st half mile, then back to usual. Looks like I'll be borrowing a scanner when I get an opportunity and see where it goes. Maybe my luck will turn and find out it's the shift solenoids? I'd rather spend $3000 on one of the race cars as opposed to a truck transmission... Have a great week...

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'll be borrowing a scanner when I get an opportunity and see where it goes. Maybe my luck will turn and find out it's the shift solenoids? Watch speed sensor output!!!! I had to borrow an old Snap-On brick cartridge scanner to catch one doing same thing one time. Must be a common issue locally as Advanced Auto Parts stocked all the sensors and solenoids for it.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Does it shift perfect when it is shifting? If it is, i agree its electrical, and a bad output speed sensor would do that if its not reading. Its easy enough to pop out the speed sensor and see if its clean or has a bunch of metal stuck to it. If a bunch of metal is stuck to it, you have a failure starting in the trans. If sensor is clean, then it could be the sensor, or the wiring to that sensor, OR it could be the computer in the truck.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post