Find
Notify
Tools

MFI mileage?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting out of MFI, Ok how many gallons per 1/8 or 1/4 pass with driving up and back. I know my stuff needs some tuning and is rich.Been a while since tuned injection w/o a blower under it. Few pass' I have managed to get in this screwed up year. Driving up and back 3 1/2 gallon tank had me coasting back.Now Idi have to follow some retards dwon return road who couldn't hear a 13:1 500 inch Hemi with zoomies whomp whomp the motor to get the he11 out of the way.

Like said I need to lean it all the way around and have on idle side and little on WOT. Thinking about swapping to larger tank and if knew eight deal with front I wouldn't have problem after all each gallon about 7.8 lbs.. Plus heard that in bracket racing weight is not big deal,thats funniest thing I have heard. How much are you burning?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most of the fuel you use is driving up there and back. Lean down barrel valve and you will use much less fuel. Just be aware that if you do that in early Spring and Fall when air is good it may be too lean and may spit and stumble killing your 60 foot and ET. When the air is really good I fatten up barrel valve some. With Blower you are going to use more fuel than I do but I drive mine up there and back and use a little over a gallon.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3982 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Don't need to lean BV I have a manual override that leans car at idle and driving up. I flip switch that leans car out thru bypass. Once I get primer system dialed in it will use less there.

Yes its been a while since tuned a NON blown system but I still remember how to dial it in just not off top of head like I use to do 30 plus years ago.

Aking how much fuel other where using.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
NO blower.

DRR Trophy
Picture of alanr
posted Hide Post
use about 2 1/2- 3 gallons on my dragster NA 588 drive up and back, funny cause the 580 blower motor uses about 2- 2 1/2/pass but push it up and back.

Posts: 10 | Location: southeastern, Pa | Registered: May 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
that sounds like mine is not as far off as I was thinking. Maybe few more chime in.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I got our 511 bbc with hilborn stacks to burn less than 2 driving up and back after some fiddling. Ran 5.0s and teens. That motor expired. New motor this year would not go under 2 and wanted to be closer to 3 to stay cool and act right. I couldn’t stand that so I gave up and put a carb on. The car is intended to be doubled on long race weekends and thats just more fuel than I want to haul. Oil was nasty too. Low compression and big cam so it may not run worth a flip with the carb either. We’ll see.

My blower motors have usually been 3.5 per if I tried real hard (1st fuel tank was too small so had to be careful) up to maybe 4.5 or 5 if I wanted it nice and cool on the starting line. Towed up and back.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Don't need to lean BV I have a manual override that leans car at idle and driving up. I flip switch that leans car out thru bypass. Once I get primer system dialed in it will use less there.

Yes its been a while since tuned a NON blown system but I still remember how to dial it in just not off top of head like I use to do 30 plus years ago.

Aking how much fuel other where using.

I told you I use little over one gallon per pass. I have used 2.5 or more per pass when tune up was on fat side.

Do not mean to sound like a smart @$$ but you would not be complaining or asking about how much it uses if it was right. Obviously it is not dialed in and leaned down if you are using 3.5 gallons per pass and running out on way back. By the way I have a 5 gallon tank and top it off every pass because I want and need the weight up there. From my experience most of the fuel you use is driving up there and back. I can use a little over 1 gallon if tune up is right. Little change on barrel valve and I am over 2 gallons or almost 3 per pass. Here in Texas almost all races are 1/8 mile now. I tend to keep mine leaner for several reasons.

Of course I run a radiator and fan so I am not relying on tons of alcohol to cool motor. Also I run mine leaner on barrel valve than most so I do not have milking oil issues and get it good and hot when I put it in trailer.

If you are depending on lots of alcohol to cool motor you will use a lot and milk oil, if you run it leaner you will run hotter and may give you problems when air gets better.

So I guess to answer your question I would say 1.5 gallons on lean tune up and 3 on fat tune up and I bet it using about 3 quarts for the pass itself?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3982 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This season we burned 4 54 gallon drums of methanol and put 180 runs between the two cars. So that comes out to be 1.2 gallons per run, including warm ups. 555 chevys with Ron’s terminators going 7.50 in dragsters. We drive up on the primer and back on methanol, and we pit quite far from the track.

I agree with Curly, you are likely using most of the fuel at idle. Do you have trouble getting/keeping heat in the engine? If this was a Ron’s system I would lean the barrel valve out about 4 flats and close up the throttle blades to get the idle where you want it and see how it works from there.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post