DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    how much converter slip?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how much converter slip?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Bracket car w SBC and glide. 3400 lbs w 9" slick. 6.50s in 8th.
How muck converter slip should I see at the stripe?
Thanks
Ken

KEGRACING - DOING IT THE POOR BOY WAY! PONTIAC with a BowTie... for now!
2017 TX Motorplex No E Track Champion

Posts: 21 | Location: Red Oak, TX | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My .02$ is dont spend alot of time chasing slip numbers.... it doesnt mean much in my opinion

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ken, don't touch it! Well, maybe change the oil and a wash job Smile

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Ken, I agree with JR here do not worry about it too much. If I remember right mine is higher than I like around 18% in 1/8 and 12% in 1/4 mile. If I tightened it up would probably hurt my 60 foot and ET. I feel it is always best to have one on the loose side than too tight.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
en, I agree with JR here do not worry about it too much. If I remember right mine is higher than I like around 18% in 1/8 and 12% in 1/4 mile. If I tightened it up would probably hurt my 60 foot and ET. I feel it is always best to have one on the loose side than too tight.

wow I don't agree at all.
converter slip is an excellent way to see if the 1000 to 2000.00 you spent on a converter has been properly matched to your combo.
12% may be livable but in my opinion and almost all the converter companies would agree your leaving a lot of performance off the table.

I would say 5 to 7percent is really good and my converter company is shooting for 0.00 slip at the stripe.

at the very worst its a good number to watch if your et or 60 is going away and you have a drastic change in slip,you know its converter related instead of chasing your tail on other issues.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Using the Wallace formula my kids Firebird with a new FTI converter is 17.5% in the 1/8 and 8% in the 1/4 mile. Car was built to run 1/4 mile but we've been running a bunch of 1/8 mile stuff.

Car goes 9.70's / 6.20's with 4.30 gears/30" tire

I'm surprised at the difference .......

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i like 4 to 5 in 1/4.that will be much higher in 1/8.i dont have numbers in front of me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.
I am getting about 10-11% right now, using Wallace calculator. Not really planning to change anything right now, just thinking about racing...
Had HS graduation this weekend for oldest son, lot of family and friends in town, and no racing... Proud of my boy! Miss the track... LOL

Ken

KEGRACING - DOING IT THE POOR BOY WAY! PONTIAC with a BowTie... for now!

Posts: 21 | Location: Red Oak, TX | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
en, I agree with JR here do not worry about it too much. If I remember right mine is higher than I like around 18% in 1/8 and 12% in 1/4 mile. If I tightened it up would probably hurt my 60 foot and ET. I feel it is always best to have one on the loose side than too tight.

converter slip is an excellent way to see if the 1000 to 2000.00 you spent on a converter has been properly matched to your combo.
12% may be livable but in my opinion and almost all the converter companies would agree your leaving a lot of performance off the table.

I would say 5 to 7percent is really good and my converter company is shooting for 0.00 slip at the stripe.

at the very worst its a good number to watch if your et or 60 is going away and you have a drastic change in slip,you know its converter related instead of chasing your tail on other issues.

I’ve moved my slip in the 1/4 from 5 to 2% then had my drive shaft pass the engine and not seen any difference in et or mph...just my experience

My coan will slip less then my abruzzi converter but the abruzzi has a good bit more speed, et about the same

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Sure but a 2000 Hp blower motor needs a much tighter converter than a lower Hp small block. Tighter converter = less slip.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 03, 2018 04:10 PM Hide Post
Sure but a 2000 Hp blower motor needs a much tighter converter than a lower Hp small block. Tighter converter = less slip.

it takes a tighter convertor to achieve the desired slip percent,the slip numbers are not much different in the 1/4 but the convertors are drastic different.the 2000 hp motor can stand less slip and not pull the motor down as much,but my experience tells me both need to be slipping a little

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Can a converter be made tight enough to keep slippage below 5% or so in the 1/8th yet actually have enough stall at the hit AND keep the fall back rpm up where the engine needs it?

Seems like 1/8 slippage is always very high.

As long as my trap rpm is where I want it, I don't really care about the slip %, just want the initial hit to be high enough and the fall back keep the engine in it's range, will print tickets that way.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i dont think so mike,i think 5 is obtainable but i dont think it is desirable wirh current technology in convertors.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KEN GRAHAM:
How muck converter slip should I see at the stripe?

Ken my car #2820 w / 32x14 tire. Last time out making eight runs, first four runs 6.41 and last four runs 6.42. I have 23% convertor slippage at the 1/8 mile. I don't see a problem.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My dragster showed just over 18% on the Wallace calculator for 1/8 mile.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
mine in 1/8 bracket mode 598 na motor was 11 percent with 9 inch slack convertor.
mine in ennis a 6 weeks ago was 18 and 5 at 1/4.
the second one is a prochared 540.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have slower car with a lockup converter. If i lock it up, it lowers my trap RPMs and that's about it. ET and speed are about the same.

Posts: 722 | Location: Somers, ny | Registered: October 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Unless the car is maxed out in the 1/8 mile, ie at max RPM for the combo then 1/8 mile slip numbers don't mean a lot. That's why everyone is showing much lower 1/4 mile numbers than 1/8 mile numbers. You will not reach maximum efficiency until maximum RPM is reached.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

Sea

With a properly matched combo your not going to see any real difference which is what your found but if your converter is too loose you will see both et and mph gains. In the quarter that's usually well over 10%.

I’ve moved my slip in the 1/4 from 5 to 2% then had my drive shaft pass the engine and not seen any difference in et or mph...just my experience

My coan will slip less then my abruzzi converter but the abruzzi has a good bit more speed, et about the same

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post