DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Induction opinion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Induction opinion
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hetzler
posted
Last season I chased an inconsistency issue almost all year. The car would run 2 passes, sometimes 3 pretty good, then it would slow down .03-.04 out of the blue. The weather would stay close, everyone else would be running real close, yet mine would lose 3 or 4 numbers. It was demoralizing being better at the tree then have the car fall off a cliff. The car originally had a toilet and an old gold pump on it, the whole system had been serviced by Ron's in '09. I chased everything I could think of during this past season. Finally at the end of the year I pulled the injection off, stuck my old alchy carb back on along with an electric pump, and once I got the bugs out of a carb that had been sitting for several years, the thing went back to running a number and being predictable. I've been told when the mechanical pump starts to go bad that is what they will do; get inconsisent. Since Ron's wont service that old pump any more, I'm kind of torn what to do next year. I really dont want shell out the money for a new belt drive pump and mount (I'm guessing my current mount wont work). But the flip side is, the carb is slower, I dont like how long it takes to get on the converter compared to the injection, the carb starts like crap when it's cold, and when the injection is "right" the carb is a touch less consistent. But like I stated, I'm not real crazy about the idea of dropping 900 bucks on a new pump and mount right now. I know the smart thing to do is just to stick with the carb for this year, but, being a bracket racer I'm not known for being terribly smart. Big Grin

Posts: 525 | Location: Orange County, NC | Registered: September 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I would buy a new pump before going back to a carb. After going to injection, I wouldn't go back to a carb in a race car.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t already, talk to James Monroe at KILLER RON'S . Granted, everything that you purchase from him comes from Ron’s, but his expertise before and after the sale are well worth the call for the very same sales price. He could possible tell you what would fit your present mount and I’m sure some other suggestions.

I have a 0 Black Pump on mine from the late 80’s (it was back to Ron’s in 20 13 for a seal and flow check, first time) that still pumps more volume than a brand new one that only costs $545 today. If it ever goes bad I’d possibly consider going to a Billet twin gear pump for $635.

I’ve never owned a carb for my race engine and never will.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Nine years since it was last serviced and how old was it before that?
I think you got your money's worth out of it.
Call James, get new, modern stuff, smile.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hetzler
posted Hide Post
I think it was bought new in '96 or '97 by the original owner. Yeah, it was last serviced in '09, but it sat for probably 4 or 5 yrs during that time off the motor that I couldnt make live.
Thanks guys, I know buying new is the right way to do it. But I spent ssssooooooo much money last year and until that final weekend couldnt get out of the second round to save my life, it really makes it hard to talk myself into spending even more money.

2011 Roxboro Top ET Champion
1999 Eddyville Mod ET Champion

Posts: 525 | Location: Orange County, NC | Registered: September 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Call James Monroe!

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think in many ways you answered your own question. The car was deadly consistent before and then went bad. You put a carb on it and it was consistent again. That most likely narrows it down to injection. Now that could be some trash in system, bad pump, corroded or collapsing fuel lines.

I think with any alcohol system it is good to replace all of the rubber lines every few years be very careful when doing it. Some brand hoses silmply do not last long with alcohol and all are critical when assembling them. They can cut the rubber when putting the male in and it looks good but will have a flap come down and restrict flow.

I do know that some brand hoses have been dried, cracked and leaking after only one year and other brands have lasted for many years with no problems. Thing is I have used so many not sure which ones was good and which was not......

As for pumps I have two and both have been tested by Enders and are good. I think that is one thing that is good to have a spare.

I have found it is good to have a filter before the barrel valve just to catch any small stuff as it does not take much to clog a nozzle. No matter how many times you filter fuel it is hard to keep all trash out and it can give you fits.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If car was running good with injection and pumps bad after what sounds like 20 years.Why do anything except buy that same pump again. Yea I can understand updating to new one also. I have never had a pump last that long and doubt many have no matter what type pump.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hetzler:
I know buying new is the right way to do it. But I spent ssssooooooo much money last year and until that final weekend couldnt get out of the second round to save my life, it really makes it hard to talk myself into spending even more money.

If you’re financially limited and making the purchase, I would definitely recommend the less expensive Black Pump. My 0 Black Pump is 30 years old and pumps slightly more volume than a new pump. When I sent it to Ron’s in 2013 a very old gentleman called for some information. He asked what fuel I was using the pump for. He said he’s never seen a pump this old with gears that were polished so smooth and pumping slightly more than a brand new one. I told him to take a good look at the pump, it’s plumbed backwards. He said “yes you’re right, but the pump don’t know it”.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have one of those old vane pumps I would sell you cheap. It is purple though but the same pump.

Posts: 8 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post