New
Find
Notify
Tools

TBM Brakes
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Ive been using there pads for a couple years now and like them a lot, I’m curious if anyone here has switched to there calipers and rotors? I’m about to try some i think.... maybe WhompWhomp?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Any particular reason you want to make the swap rotors and calipers from MW?

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think my current calipers need a rebuild and i think there will be less drag with the tbm.....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Incase anyone wants to see

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BEST CALIPER I’ve used....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
BEST CALIPER I’ve used....

only one race but I think I agree

This message has been edited. Last edited by: seabass,

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve been friends with the guys at TBM for a couple years now. I’ve talked to them at length on what separates their brakes from all others. Customer service is just the beginning. My car is due for brakes and it will be TBM...I won’t even look at any others.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
How often do you guys rebuild/put new brakes on the car? And when you do, what does it consist of? Just a simple rebuild of the caliper and call it good? Or like a whole refresh with calipers, rotors etc.? I do think mine need replaced at this point just due to them being quite old and the pedal gets squishy after bleeding and using them a week or two depending on if its a long weekend or just a Saturday night program etc. I'm intrigued on the TBM possibly also..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brake system gets flushed every season and new pads installed. Calipers get rebuilt every other season and rotors replaced.

That said, It appears to me that when TBM was designing their caliper they had Mark Williams caliper on the drawing board. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Maybe I just need to look into rebuilding my calipers and put new rotors on then.. I've honestly never had an issue stopping, just noticed more recently that they seem to be getting air in the system after using so many times.. I'll flush, rebuild and look at the rotors and see what happens. Thanks

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you are getting air in your brake system during use, you should see brake fluid somewhere.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Brake system gets flushed every season and new pads installed. Calipers get rebuilt every other season and rotors replaced.

That said, It appears to me that when TBM was designing their caliper they had Mark Williams caliper on the drawing board. Wink
WRONG the spacer in the middle is made of steel that’s the big difference from why my MW were locking up with half worn pads on very very short tracks double entering...TBM calipers release better then any on market....never had problems till I started going fast and doubling entering with the MW...no problem with MW on truck

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just MW calipers that we’re doing this but my buddy’s 14’ UNDERCOVER was locking up at BRISTOL other week also...it as STRANGE calipers on it...

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
we've raced at Bristol and our MW brakes were never "locking up".

If there are better brakes for our cars, none of the professional chassis builders know it, whether it be for a dragster or top sportsman car. When the customer wants and/or needs the best, they install Mark Williams.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine never locked up at BRISTOL either just short tracks....PROBLEM SOLVED with TBM

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
are you saying they faded or actually locked up?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine would literally be locked up on starting line so bad tires would damn near shake teeth out...only done it when pads would get about half worn...basically brakes getting so hot it was ****ing the pistons best we could tell to much flex...that’s what the steel portion of TBM fixes is the flex....I wasted a lot of money chasing everything else but removed MW an installed TBM no more issues an I can run the TBM pads to nothing

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My mw were dragging really bad is what I noticed. I’m not knocking mw as I do like them but after trying the Tbm pads i had to try the calipers as well. Both are excellent so far

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
J.R....When you changed pads on your MW calipers did you rebuild the calipers or just push the pistons back into the bore and install new pads.?
Thanks...

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The first year I just pushed them back in, now I think they need a rebuild . Lot of dust build up. Like whomp said, these Tbm’s retract well and don’t seem to drag. And I was using them on my wore out warped mw rotor as I couldn’t get new ones in time. I think I’m going to try the tbm rotors next

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi