DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Q: for guys with Torq-Thrust wheels, about lug nuts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q: for guys with Torq-Thrust wheels, about lug nuts
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, I'm trying to help a buddy select wheel nuts for a pair of Torq Thrust wheels that he wants to run.
I don't know for sure if they are the original Torq Thrust or Torq Thrust II rims.

The wheels do not accept a mag-seat, straight-shank lug nut; the holes are too small. Nor is there much of a 'pocket' to accept a wide, bulge-conical lug nut that I usually associate with an aluminum center.

The American Racing website appears to say to use a common, 60-degree tapered wheel nut. Gad, that is something I envision only for use on steel wheels, not anything soft, like an alloy.

American Racing's customer support is either very lame, or they're shut down for Covid-19 or something. They don't answer or return my calls or texts.

Anyone use that type of wheel? What lug nuts do you use?

Thanks!
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
when you put the wheel on is there enough wheel stud exposed for a conical seat or are the studs a bit shorter due to wheel thickness

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
when you put the wheel on is there enough wheel stud exposed for a conical seat or are the studs a bit shorter due to wheel thickness

Thank you. He does in fact have the long wheel studs, as these wheels are to be mounted on the rear axle.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
they do make a lug that has a conical seat and a short shank...this way you can center the wheel with the shank but seat with conical...but your saying the hole is too small for any type of shank?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
they do make a lug that has a conical seat and a short shank...this way you can center the wheel with the shank but seat with conical...but your saying the hole is too small for any type of shank?

You know, I thought right away too that might be the case. I think that is the "ET-style" of wheel nut (extra-thread).

We did not have any on hand of that type to try out. I've never otherwise seen a wheel that uses that type of lug nut.
Thx again.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
yep...we have had to use them several times on cragar and some American racing wheels...but usually we have to use them when the stud is a bit short for a conical seat...but try the et...bet they work well

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
My friend tried out the 'ET'-style of wheel nuts and they work very well, it seems.