DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need house water hammer help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need house water hammer help
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Installed a whole house filter system with a bypass so I can still have water on while changing filters or whatever. With water going through the filters, I get hammering when the washer asks for water (I think hot water). If I bypass the filers there's no hammering. I installed a pressure reducing valve and an expansion tank but still have problem. Anyone with experience in the field??

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion here.

Turn off the water supply to the house. Go through the house and turn on every faucet you have, flush the toilets. Now, gently, turn the water supply back on. Now starting with the closest water faucet, start turning them off. The idea is that you have an air bubble in the water supply line, following the above can get that air bubble out.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just fixed this problem the other day the new machines have quick opening solenoids that let water into the washing machine, put water hammer aresters right on the machine there made by Sioux Chief there 10 bucks at lowes

Posts: 8 | Location: Staten Island | Registered: January 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas. I thought about water arrestors but I only have the hammering when I'm running through the filters. It seems like I'd be having the hammering with or without the filters. I'll drain the system again and see what happens and if it still hammers I'll get some arrestors.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How many filters does the system have and are they in series?

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You don't see them much these days but look for a globe valve installed backwards. Flow will suck the rubber washer against the seat, when the flow stops it will return to normal. The air chambers may cure it anyway.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it's a continuing hammer, look in the toilet tanks while it's doing it, if the float is vibrating, lift it. If it stops, replace the ball****. Not likely but I've seen it.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is this a well? I made a mod to my old house that put too much line length between my pressure switch and my bladder tank. I thought it was going to take the house down first time I turned the pump on. Rearranged to get the switch back within a couple feet of the tank and no problems. Took me awhile to figure it out though.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:
How many filters does the system have and are they in series?

The system has two 20 inch filters and are in a series, I guess. Looks like this:
https://www.servapure.com/Serv...r-System_p_6079.html

I put a small arrestor on both supply lines to the washer and it's acted good so far but we've only done 2 loads of laundry since.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How many microns are your filters? I would try running the system without the filter material (if possible) through the empty filter canisters. If it stops it would lead me to believe the filters are too restrictive and can't flow enough to meet the demands of the washer. Causing a suction and refilling cycle that may be your "hammering" effect.

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Good thought. The sediment is 5 micron and the other is 25.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That 5 micron (.0002 inch) filter will slow things down.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I've got 4 pressure gauges to monitor pressure drop which I know isn't volume but it's the way Serv a Pure recommends filter changes. They're also the ones that thought I'd be fine with a 5 for the sediment filter. Maybe I'll bump it up on the filter change. This system has only been in for about 5 months so I'm still learning. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You can find this at Lowe's Attach between inlet hose and washer.

Mini-Rester Water Hammer Arrester 3/4" Female Swivel Hose Thread X 3/4" Male Hose Thread Tee
SKU:
660-HB
Brand:
Sioux Chief

Posts: 4 | Location: Corapeake, NC | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Troy Anderson:
You can find this at Lowe's Attach between inlet hose and washer.

Mini-Rester Water Hammer Arrester 3/4" Female Swivel Hose Thread X 3/4" Male Hose Thread Tee
SKU:
660-HB
Brand:
Sioux Chief

I put one on each supply line to the washer.