DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Driveshaft enclosure/ Tunnel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driveshaft enclosure/ Tunnel
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted
Hey guys just looking for a few pics to get some ideas of how guys have built their driveshaft enclosures and also tunnels in their door cars. I’m about to start on that particular section of my build and just want some ideas. Also what diameter driveshaft is normal for not so heavy door car applications? Reason I ask is I bought some DS enclosure tubing from McAmis and it’s 5” round which doesnt leave a lot of room for error in fit up or in vertical movement of driveshaft. But I also dont know how much the driveshaft will move up and down either. Thanks in advance.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Diameter of driveshaft will be determined by length and rpm it is spinning if I remember correctly when I ordered mine from strange.
Is that enclosed a two piece unit that is more oval shaped than round?
I could text you pictures when I got home but still computer illiterate so can’t post them here.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Stephen,
The ones I used to install were oval and 6 inches across. The were 2 piece and enclosed in a front and rear driveshaft loop. You would unpin/bolt the loops and then 4 bolts held the 2 halves of the enclosure together. I also went front 6 inch diameter at the front to roughly 12 inches at the rear where it went through the main hoop area. More than enough room for drive shaft and allowed plenty of vertical movement.
Just a thought for you before building.

Wish I had a picture for you.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Green1, no it’s not oval, its a 5” round tube. I guess i could split it in half and add an inch or two of flat bar and make it and oval.

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Driveshaft Enclosure

This is the kit McAmis sells. I bought 3’ of the tubing, and I had some other DS loops already so I was going to build my own.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine is two piece and like above stated but mine isn’t bigger in the rear, same size all the way. I haven’t taken the halves apart since I put the car together two years ago so don’t know that two piece is needed. It is a little tight getting driveshaft in and out but not horrible.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
We use Jerry Bickel driveshaft enclosures. To piece that you cut to size then weld together. Fit in a 1” diamter loop, 5 1/4” inside width as I recall.

Installed one in my stock body door car under the stock floor. I use a 4” aluminum driveshaft, no clearance issues. We install them on every car we build.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
We use Jerry Bickel driveshaft enclosures. To piece that you cut to size then weld together. Fit in a 1” diamter loop, 5 1/4” inside width as I recall.

Installed one in my stock body door car under the stock floor. I use a 4” aluminum driveshaft, no clearance issues. We install them on every car we build.

I’ll look into that, this 5” round deal looks like it leaves no room for error and or much rear end travel up and down. Since I just bought the tubing and not the kit it wont cost me much to scrap it.