DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD Grid (Low voltage crank sensor)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Grid (Low voltage crank sensor)
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of racer7171
posted
Hooked up MSD Grid with the matching ignition box. Getting ALERT (Low voltage crank sensor) message.

I have replaced crank trigger wheel, Trigger, Changed gap to 40 and 60. Still getting message.

Thanks for the help

Posts: 180 | Location: USA | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
2 questions.
Is this a new install? When cranking does the LED on Grid blink On/Off/On.
Try this.
First, disconnect the crank trigger sensor from the cable and meter in ohms. I’ll assume this is a 3/4-16 sensor (MSD 8276) that will meter between 70 -90 ohms. Reconnect to the intermediate cable.

The cable from Grid 7730 to the intermediate crank trigger is a 3 pin triangular connector on the 7730. Unplug and look carefully into the plug ends to verify that the pins are protruding all the way out. This is “very” important for the intermediate cable that has the female ends. Sometime you have to clean out any electrical grease to see these female pins. They need to be flat up against the back of the plastic plate cover. If the female pins are not in position, the locking wedge needs to be pried off using a small screwdriver in the small recesses. Once removed you can lock pins in position.

If the female pins in the intermediate cable look correct, meter the purple / green wires in ohms at this point. You should be reading the same ohm value that you did when you checked the crank trigger sensor. You are verifying that the cable is good at this point prior to plugging into 7730

If all this checks correctly write back or you can PM me for the following step.

Here's how to disassemble the Deutsch connectors. Go down about 1/3 of the page to view.

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of racer7171
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I will take a look in the next day.

David

Posts: 180 | Location: USA | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Do you crank the car, and then throw the ignition switch?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post