New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bump Box
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I am curious about the bump box. Do we have any users on this site?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
What would you like to know?

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
How about if legal in sportsman classes... I hear was not. Sure would get you into the same spot every time you stage.... Shake head

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
just curious, how would a bump box get you in a better spot than just flickering the bulb bumping in normally???? if you flicker then you know within .25 inches you are there, bump box would erratically put you in the beams IMO....

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Because Street Outlaws uses them!

Posts: 476 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not know why they would be illegal I do not see any advantage for our use.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
From Davis Technologies - Bump Box. Our “Bump Box” is the only device of it's kind on the market today. By controlling the trans brake with a high speed micro processor, the car can be bumped into the second bulb with extreme precision and control! Allowing the driver to focus on the tree, and not worry about rolling the beams.....
so basically the TB is engaging and disengaging very quickly.... is the way I take it

Ryan Fasano

Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
just curious, how would a bump box get you in a better spot than just flickering the bulb bumping in normally???? if you flicker then you know within .25 inches you are there, bump box would erratically put you in the beams IMO....

Well I was just asking , you mean Rymo you never rolled in by .75" or a full 1.00" just once....LOL

The Bump Box interrupts the positive battery voltage signal to the solenoid to allow for precise movement when the “Bump Button” is pressed. The “Bump” is easily adjustable with two dials on the face of the unit, to allow for easy adjustments without confusing digital interface.

The Coarse knob increments in 10 millisecond steps, while the Fine knob increments in 3 millisecond steps.

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
......so basically the TB is engaging and disengaging very quickly.... is the way I take it

That's correct, been using and installing them for 6 years (not on bracket cars). They're a little violent on our heads up stuff because we're bumping in under power, a bracket car bumping in at much less power and rpm can be very smooth. Not quite sure you're going to beat the "flickering" of the bulb process you mentioned.

Smile

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My thought was always these must be rough on reverse clutches and band struts. Only place I really see a reason is for a turbo car with an automatic. I could be wrong though.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
OH no Jred, I never ever do that, Smile sorry I was confused, I didn't see a question mark. Maybe we should wait for all knowing moob ed kardashian to weigh in on his thoughts.
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:

Well I was just asking , you mean Rymo you never rolled in by .75" or a full 1.00" just once....LOL

The Bump Box interrupts the positive battery voltage signal to the solenoid to allow for precise movement when the “Bump Button” is pressed. The “Bump” is easily adjustable with two dials on the face of the unit, to allow for easy adjustments without confusing digital interface.

The Coarse knob increments in 10 millisecond steps, while the Fine knob increments in 3 millisecond steps.

Ryan Fasano

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
OH no Jred, I never ever do that, Smile sorry I was confused, I didn't see a question mark. Maybe we should wait for all knowing moob ed kardashian to weigh in on his thoughts.
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:

LOL ... I don't know who kardashian is and if its 1320 he is on ignore so I'll never see the post....LMAO

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
the car can be bumped into the second bulb with extreme precision and control!

They forgot the disclaimer...if you light the pre-stage light with extreme precision first

Going to see people flickering the pre-stage light now?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1217 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
There made for hi spooling turbo cars to get into the 2nd light or staged light.-Violent on trans and useless on a regular bracket car. IMO No way your getting in the lights precise IMO. I have seen the most expensive and the best trans cases tore up using it on turbo cars.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
.... I have seen the most expensive and the best trans cases tore up using it on turbo cars.

It has dramatically reduced our ring and pinion life also.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
XPS,

Can you use the Williams 11 inch rear end or is that what you’re running?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
XPS,

Can you use the Williams 11 inch rear end or is that what you’re running?

Mostly 10" with teams I am involved in, I know of some blower promods that run the 11". MW 11" in a turbo car with a bump box, I would be interested in the results.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I believe the idea is to give one more consistency in deep-staging, to reduce your reaction time with less risk of a foul-start (from stating too deep).

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
In the early days of S/G on a .400 tree, many racers had to move in a little deeper to get good RT's, myself included.

I used an idle stop solenoid and turned it on after a burnout and tapped the gas pedal to pickup the rpm.
Could roll in easier and deeper...

Others used the "bump box technique" but without any gadgets.....just bounce on and off the t-brake button. Delay boxes and t-stop timers were not out there yet so you did not trigger anything by getting on and off the t-brake.

I never did it but others did......with decent success...

Your .440+ dead shallow......roll it in....or bump it in....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post