DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alternator with no fan?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternator with no fan?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Working on Pivotdoc's dragster today and trying to install a new House of Payne 16 volt alternator. This is not the ultra mini one so basically the external fan is in the way.

I think I can make everything else work but the fan needs to go so the bracket will fit properly.

I did a google search and found a couple of people who said they had done it without problems. Anyone out there chime in on this?

Thanks!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think on a dragster you can get away with it. Not going to run long enough to get too hot I don't think.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We might have it figured out and get to keep the fan. Looks like a new mounting bracket will allow us to do that. I’ll post back if it all works out.

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Cash, it is fine to remove the fan. I have done so many times. I have three cars at the Motorplex today without alternator fans.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry, I really didn’t think it would be a problem but always better to find someone with experience. Hoping we can make this thing fit, it’s pretty tight.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
dump the fan Vern.I have had the blades break off at high rpm.Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt!

Posts: 51 | Location: badlands of New Mexico | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post