Bracket Talk
Alternator with no fan?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/5157077286

March 16, 2019, 11:36 AM
Cashflow
Alternator with no fan?
Working on Pivotdoc's dragster today and trying to install a new House of Payne 16 volt alternator. This is not the ultra mini one so basically the external fan is in the way.

I think I can make everything else work but the fan needs to go so the bracket will fit properly.

I did a google search and found a couple of people who said they had done it without problems. Anyone out there chime in on this?

Thanks!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
March 16, 2019, 01:58 PM
Wooley
I think on a dragster you can get away with it. Not going to run long enough to get too hot I don't think.
March 16, 2019, 04:24 PM
Cashflow
We might have it figured out and get to keep the fan. Looks like a new mounting bracket will allow us to do that. I’ll post back if it all works out.

March 16, 2019, 04:31 PM
Larry Woodfin
Cash, it is fine to remove the fan. I have done so many times. I have three cars at the Motorplex today without alternator fans.

Larry Woodfin

March 16, 2019, 07:53 PM
Cashflow
Thanks Larry, I really didn’t think it would be a problem but always better to find someone with experience. Hoping we can make this thing fit, it’s pretty tight.

March 16, 2019, 08:21 PM
dirtdobber
dump the fan Vern.I have had the blades break off at high rpm.Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt!