DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    John Deere points.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Deere points.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I'm working on a 1955 JD 40hp tractor.
I got it running and am going to put some new points in it. Aren't you supposed to put a small amount of grease on the point's? Where do you put the grease?

Thanks.

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A tiny amount would go on the cam that opens the points.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Generally you put a small dab of point lube ( yes there is such a thing)at the rubbing block of the points where it rides the point cam. This way as the cam rotates it takes a tiny bit of lube with it. Years back they used to provide a little capsule of lube with the points. Somewhere I have a tube of GM point lube from my dealer days. Thanks for reminding me that I'm old.
If you have any tractor questions look at Yesterday's Tractors forums.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Google Perlux ignitor and see if they are still in business. Replaces those pesky points with an electronic module that you'll never have to look at again. I've had some on 60's vintage Deere's that have run 40+ years with having the cap off. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
a very small dab of wheel bearing grease is acceptable. I yes, I also have a tube of Delco rubbing block lube that is about 50 years old.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post