DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cheap power gains
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap power gains
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
At the track $27. I was told bunch of BS about buying whole barrel and 44 bucks a gallon. Sunco trailer said I'll sale you half gallon if want Tell friend he wll have to fill out paper work,its not big deal just stupid bs. Best to buy full jug and store in building out of sun light if not using right away.

Sounds cool as hell and smells like HORSEPOWER,some say smells like horse well something else.LOL Even 5 or 10% load can be detected,in case friend need to know.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
pull an extra quart of oil out of the motor

X2

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
ok so explain the quart out thing.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ok fund cpl articles. Mostly agree less oil is few hp. Seesm reason is pressure from pistons is allowed to escape better giving less resistance o pistons on down stroke. Simple terms and lot shorter.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
One cheap thing I forgot. While not cheap initial layout,a data recorder can save a bunch of wasted runs when something is misbehaving in the tune up.

Reason it is near top of list for things to add to car asaca(as soon as can afford).

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
ok so explain the quart out thing.

Less windage maybe? I run 5 qt. in a 6 qt. pan. Yes, it makes a difference. Try it. You might be surprised. Make sure you have a low pressure warning light first though.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Brktracer,

Thats what I thought at first also. Seems the theory is and maybe more fact. That less oil allows space in pan for air forced down by pistons to go and less resistance force against pistons.In essence its part of windage I guess. Seesm some have seen gain from it.Not sure I like running less oil for the gain,but can see where it could work for some. Actually its a less cost gain,one less quart of oil to buy.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You can pick up about .05 going from 20-50 to 10-30 oil. It also picks up similar if you take out a quart or so. The common thinking is the drag on the crankshaft is less so it makes more power.
On a side note on my car (your mileage may vary) with 20-50 oil it would lose pressure on hard brakes after a run. Will not do it with 10-30 and I think it is because the thinner oil drains back in the pan quicker.
It may be more consistent to with lower oil level because of the drag but can not verify that.
Right now I run a mixture of several different oils and weights because some have different benefits. I also run two very large oil street truck type filters to remove all small particles. That way I have very clean oil with little restrictions.
Also there is a little performance gain by running lower oil pressure. It all adds up.
Your clearances in the motor will determine what oil weight you need to run but you can pick up a few pennies with oil. You could go to that 0-5 weight oil and may even pick up a little more right up until the odd exit he pan.........

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I do not disagree that you can gain some power with lighter oils.less oil and less oil pressure.I personally don't like the risk reward ratio.But if running heads up or one of the stock class' it can be worth more I guess.

As for bearing clearances determining weight oil.I run .004 rods and .005 mains so run 50 or higher. I run oberg filter and clean ate end of day before loading car. I also know with 120 OP at idle I am giving up some power but also know oil is being pumped thru out motor.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chris here’s a good one, lose body fat! I’m down to 184 from 216. I’m sure I have saved cash while doing this.... that’s a lot of hardware, I’m to the point of keeping the car right were it is, Super Street has a must weight 2800 rule and right now I’m right at 2804.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
diabetes already took care of most of that. Was 270 when started this life long project and now 210 so 60#.thats .06 free well unless you want to count all the BS that comes along with diabetes. Saved butt load on milk past year down to gallon to gallon and half a week about 5 gallons at 3.50,so 22.50 a week x 52 weeks,