Find
Notify
Tools

TH350 Mods
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
I am seriously considering using a TH350 in my newest build. It's not a lightweight by any means and I'm thinking the extra gearing (aftermarket set a bit deeper than the stock 2.52) could let me use a gear ratio that could help out on the other end.
We ran these trans before switching one of the other cars to a glide combination so I have transmissions and parts but I am wondering about any internal mods that should be made - it's been a while and I know things change.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear points of view on it myself.

When I went from T-400 to Powerglide (maybe 1998?)I lost a little in the 60 foot and picked up some in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Also car was more consistent with Powerglide. Now much has changed, we have better tires, shocks, chassis set ups and making more power. One other thing that has changed in Texas is almost all Bracket racing is now 1/8 mile where it used to be 50/50.

That has made me think about a 3 speed Lenco or something similar but the Powerglide works, fairly cheap and durable.

You may want to check in on Super Stock forum as some are required to run factory type transmissions. They may have some good information and suggestions?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Super Stock forum

Yep - you are correct.

114 posts on just a quick search of TH350 on the tech site of that forum.

Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you decide and how it works.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53671

I basically followed this and trans worked great.
Still in car, guys made a few hundred mid 11sec passes and it still works.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of a TH350 for any high performance application. I'd rather use a th400. Much stronger trans, takes less to make it live. A th350 can be made to work, but it takes some serious know how and can get pretty expensive, and they still won't hold up to what a th400 can......but that's just my opinion....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've run a TH350 pretty successfully behind a SBC footbraking at the 700-900 HP level.

3650 LB Chevelle starting out and getting down to just under 3400 lbs in the last version.

I broke it twice. Both times related to grenading a 12 bolt rear and not really the transmissions fault. First time was side/spider gears turning to dust on the starting line, the last time was breaking about 10 teeth off a ring gear after the 60'at the 900+ HP level. Both times it cracked the low roller support.

The initial version was a basic rebuild with extra/performance clutches in the direct, 36-element BTE sprag/direct drum, Coan manual valve body, and just a good basic build with proper clearances everywhere. Ran hundreds of passes this way at the 675-735 HP level. Best was low to mid 6.20's in the 1/8th at 3600 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZDpT0Ek3lY

When I updated the engine to get in the 900+ HP range, I also updated the TH350 with Coan 300M input in a billet forward drum, Coan billet direct drum, and pretty much everything else the same. The fastest pass in this configuration was 5.93@116+ with a soft 1.35 - 60'. With peak TQ at 6300 RPM it just left soft leaving off the footbrake at 1500-1800 RPM. It ripped from 60' to 330' though once the engine got into it's happy zone. The induction didn't help with a sheetmetal tunnel ram and 2 carbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gimlyn-mrmU

The car never left especially quick. Most 60' times were in the 1.32-1.35 range in both versions. Mostly due to the car weight and spending too much time below peak TQ of the engine configurations.

The need for a transbrake and less 1st gear as the power and engine RPM went up and the want of a aftermarket SFI transmission case is the reason the TH350 went on the shelf. An Abruzzi glide replaced the TH350 since I only race 1/8th mile. I'll have a 3-speed back in the car, just wasn't ready to spend $6-10K at the time.

The car has always been on 28x10.5, 29x9, or 275 Radials.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I would like to hear points of view on it myself.

When I went from T-400 to Powerglide (maybe 1998?)I lost a little in the 60 foot and picked up some in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Also car was more consistent with Powerglide. Now much has changed, we have better tires, shocks, chassis set ups and making more power. One other thing that has changed in Texas is almost all Bracket racing is now 1/8 mile where it used to be 50/50.

That has made me think about a 3 speed Lenco or something similar but the Powerglide works, fairly cheap and durable.

You may want to check in on Super Stock forum as some are required to run factory type transmissions. They may have some good information and suggestions?

I believe a competitive S/S car is going to be a 3 speed, but a Chevy case with Chrysler internals, and about 10K and 6-7 months to get.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post