DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    pressure in trans at idle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pressure in trans at idle
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok fired car off today only issues are timing light is junk(not a surprise) and trans is blowing coupling out while idling and in park.Pushing good amount of my FTI fluid out with it.

So we know guy who built trans mucked up something. Any ideas what I did wrong.Will be pulling trans out in short while so drop some ideas as to what I need to look for.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
What do you mean you pushed the coupling out at idle?

Pressure at servo port could be anything from 180-300 depending on what spring is in it.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Driver shaft coupling,running solid shaft.Drive shaft not installed,just had coupling in to seal rear,didn't work too good. LOL beats cussing and sling stuff.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
also ate fout intake adjuster on right side,so pulling head to find out why no oil. Also yanking transmission out tonight. Unless there is just more pressure there than I think.

Right after getting some vitamin A B as in Bud Light.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Well if the driveshaft wasnt in then put it in and recheck. Put a gauge on the servo port and see what you have before you take it apart and look for a problem tham may not be there

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea was kind of hoping someone would just tell me I has pressure there and thats issue.

Was going to try drive shaft deal If can find 4 adjusters for motor. Found issue there,jet in block for oiling shafts stopped.plugged right now its plugged in trash. Damn oiling system on Hemi rockers has always sucked. Time to re engineer the design some.

Only reason had shaft out was ring gear missing 2 bolts.Plus firing car first time with bunch of new stuff and figured since going to be tunning motor and outside of car its just be safer. Not if you where behind trans when coupler came out.LOL

Going to check vent for trans also and see if some critter plugged it for me.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
before you put shaft in pull rear cove and check drain back just so you dont have to pull all back
out

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hell not take back apart? Thats new concept.

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Is this a shorty glide? If so like already mentioned check the drain back from between the bushing and the rear seal. If drain back is plugged it will blow oil out past the seal as well as push the coupler out. There is probably enough pressure on that back bushing to push the coupler out even if the drain back is clear.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Taking into consideration the drain back is clear,
There "ARE" 2 gasket designs for the rear. 1 OEM and 1 race type.

https://www.tsr-racing.com/pow...bber-components.html

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
We have a winner,TD3550. SOrry only trophy is big thanks.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
This one is on the builder. Kit I had came with metal plate,no gakets. Assumed it was for blank off with longer shaft and tail housing.

In my defense if there is one.When you bolted it together with plate it would not allow cover to seat and I guessed maybe the cover was machined to seat and seal off. Did find it strange,but hey transmission stuff has change since I built glides back in late 80's. Yes I am getting old.

Lesson learned,Using my own joke a against me I guess I owe 10 bucks, education in America cost.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
If this is the plate that is in there, yes it needs the gasket. Gasket matches plate for a pro brake.

https://www.tsr-racing.com/pow...block-off-plate.html

An example, this VB will come with the plate.

https://www.tsr-racing.com/pow...-safety-reverse.html

I know when i ordered the complete kits, 1 for the shop and 1 in the trailer. The HD gasket of that design was not included.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
that would be the plate. Already ordered gaskets,had to order more parts than shipping.LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Incoming PM..

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Reply sent.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
If you are using a roller bearing,I have seen the housing need to be ground a groove to let oil out of the bearing

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Something to think about while have it out for gasket.Hell can't hurt to do anyway if not already there.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Being it doesn't have a gasket that is your issue. There is a drain back hole below the seal that feeds back to the case for drain back. Make sure this is clear. One other thing is to make sure the shorty cover is cut to use the plate. Some are and some are not. Typically with a shorty cover you will only need the gasket. Make sure when bolted on that you check for crush on gasket. We see them push on the yoke on our dyno without driveshaft and even push them out so dont be too alarmed.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Cover better fit its a FTI piece. LOL It is JW case,but I got it thru you.

Don't think its big deal just my screw up.