New
Find
Notify
Tools

New car build
 Login/Join

<DOTracer>
posted
As some may remember my "Top End Crash" post, I had a bad on track crash the beginning of October which destroyed my Malibu.

Within a week of the crash I had a line on a replacement car and shortly there after it was in my garage being torn down to the bare shell in preparation to be built back up.

I intend to share the build process along the way, same as when I build the Malibu back in 1992 and 2011.

For anyone interested I'll post all the build pics on my INGUR account which is https://10secbu.imgur.com/all.

I'll share some pics here, but won't bother showing all of them as to not bore everyone.

BTW, the plan is for the car to be a 25.2/25.3 SFI certified chassis which will be a 3/4 chassis, all round tube chromoly with a 4 link rear. The car will stay on the same 315 drag radial tire that the Malibu had but this time on a 14" wheel. The engine/trans/and converters will be used from the Malibu assuming they all check out OK after the accident.

For now the work has primarily been cutting out all the unneeded metal as well as cutting out the rust that was found. The car is now on the fixture table and I've begun to work on setting the front end components. Still waiting on the rear housing to be delivered as well as the Santhuff struts and a pair of mockup rear tires that I'll need before I can get to laying out much more.

Got knocked down, but getting back up and working harder to get back out there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Starting to take shape. How much weight did you cut/take out?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
Starting to take shape. How much weight did you cut/take out?

Didn't weigh stuff but it was ALOT!

I weighed the car before doing any work and it was 2500 lbs. Add in my driveline and driver and it would have been roughly 3300 lbs.

Based on Mustangs I've built like this for customers, I estimate mine will be roughly 2500-2600 lbs with driver. Class minimum weight is 2800 lbs. I've built these as light as 2300 lbs with driver. I intend to keep the stock power window doors and hatch as I'll still probably have to add 200+ lbs of ballast in the rear to help the weight bias and make class weight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Dang your on the way! Great car , lots of great parts , really like your post of last build hope you keep posting . Your a great builder ....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Nice brakes, I recently put them on my dragster

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
Looks like tin soldier 4 link brackets. Really nice stuff! Good luck with your new car!

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Like your jig set up.

Nice looking work too.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Is that a 63 Impala I see in your garage?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:

Yes, factory SS 327 4 speed car. Survivor car. Dad bought it new, sat in storage from 1978 to 2017.

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
quote:

Yes, factory SS 327 4 speed car. Survivor car. Dad bought it new, sat in storage from 1978 to 2017.

I was born in November 1962. Came home from the hospital in my dad's 63 Impala SS, 327/300 with 4-speed. I spent a lot of time riding in the back seat of that car Smile My dad sold his in 1976, wish he had put it in storage instead.
Funny how you still remember little details like that round courtesy light you can see in your photo.

Your new project looks great, thanks for sharing the build. Not to hijack your thread, but if you ever wanted to share a couple of photos of that Impala I'm sure folks would love to see them.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to following along. Are you going to put a Chevy engine in that? Cevy engine in a Ford? Not right. Smile

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was born in November 1962. Came home from the hospital in my dad's 63 Impala SS, 327/300 with 4-speed. I spent a lot of time riding in the back seat of that car Smile My dad sold his in 1976, wish he had put it in storage instead.
Funny how you still remember little details like that round courtesy light you can see in your photo.

Your new project looks great, thanks for sharing the build. Not to hijack your thread, but if you ever wanted to share a couple of photos of that Impala I'm sure folks would love to see them.

Being a racing site, I figured it did't belong here. If anyone wants to see pics of the Impala, they are loaded on my Imgur site.

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
Looking forward to following along. Are you going to put a Chevy engine in that? Cevy engine in a Ford? Not right. Smile

Yup, gonna transplant my 594 bbc (and 3 speed th400) out of the Malibu into the Mustang.

Heck, I might even put z28 emblems and stripes on it. Big Grin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've got to ask, why an old mustang? Why not a newer body style if a Mustang, why not a newer car like a 5th/6th Gen Camaro?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I've got to ask, why an old mustang? Why not a newer body style if a Mustang, why not a newer car like a 5th/6th Gen Camaro?

New stuff is way too heavy. They have alot more metal within the frame/rocker area which makes them so heavy.

Also, not looking to spend $10-15k as a car to build from. Paid $1200 for this one delivered and after selling some parts off of it, I have less than $500 invested in the car itself.

I could see a new style mustang if money no object, but I've never been a fan of the current Camaro.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
so cost and weight are the reasons why.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
Looking forward to following along. Are you going to put a Chevy engine in that? Chevy engine in a Ford? Not right. Smile

Yup, gonna transplant my 594 bbc (and 3 speed th400) out of the Malibu into the Mustang.

Heck, I might even put z28 emblems and stripes on it. Big Grin

I have a BBC in my Fairmont. But then, I'm not right.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Goodluck with the build. I know you will do a great job. I am just sad to see another foxbody Frown

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
i cant get your link for the pics to work.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That was my point. No doubt the end result will be very nice but it’s still another mustang. Too bad he’s not doing something different like a Cadilac. Seen one at Piedmont last weekend and it is cool. Saw Larry Larson’s Cadilac at PRI last year and it is badasz!