DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    durometer reading on slicks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

durometer reading on slicks
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Seems to be foreign idea to many since asked on another site with no reply.

Durometer reading on slicks. Wondering if any here have durmoter for reading slick compound hardness? If so at what range do you see a change performance wise.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4162 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Anybody? I plan to invest in one of these myself as a lark to see how they work.

I reckon that my 60-foots would go away as the slicks get measurably harder.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You need to test them at same humidity and temperature if you want a true comparable reading.

Make sure if you buy one you do your research on Shore A vs Shore D

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Insider tip: Don't try a Rockwell Hardness Tester!!! Didn't think of that

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think it is a waste of time and money.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3962 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I think it is a waste of time and money.

Yes it is!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree. It won't tell you anything. The time slip will be the only data you need to look at.

Lol on the Rockwell tester comment.

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
To each their own. I use them to see what part of slick is getting used most, Keep track of what point slicks start to change and what effect it has performance wise. If you know what point you start to see changes and keep up with it you might be able to swap slicks before change in performance occurs.

I don't see anything gives more info on car as waste of time or money. Again to each their own.

Posts: 4162 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wow amazing. Discussion with resorting to calling people an idiot, broke dyck driving shyt boxes, etc
... Gives me hope.

Wideopen makes a good point.....to each his own. It is data....and maybe at a performance point a correlation can be had.

One thing is certain....no Rockwell testers please....

BG

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
To each their own. I use them to see what part of slick is getting used most, Keep track of what point slicks start to change and what effect it has performance wise. If you know what point you start to see changes and keep up with it you might be able to swap slicks before change in performance occurs.

I don't see anything gives more info on car as waste of time or money. Again to each their own.

Slicks are pretty soft and Shore A is the hardness range you want the tester to be. I've used several for testing rubber over the years and one brand doesn't stick out as being any better over the other. The ones with the "telltale" work fine - looks like they've all gone digital now. I would also recommend getting the test blocks for two reasons: one, to verify the accuracy of the gauge and two, to teach yourself the technique to get consistent readings.
Rubber is always in a state of vulcanization and will get harder over time. This is especially true when you add heat cycles to it. If you can track hardness of your slicks and relate it to performance, more power to you.

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Condition based monitoring of equipment and components is smart practice business wise and of course isn't a bad idea where you can use it in our sport. My concern here is that it only tells you part of the story of slick condition. Yes you CAN lose capability of the compound to be effective due to the number of runs or usually from simply aging. But often the sidewall loses it's ability long before anything compound/traction wise starts to become an issue. How can you test the condition of a sidewall? Now if you are a twice a year raceer that ends up with aged out tires, this could be a thing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Reading the reply's. Different views, which is good thing in a educational conversation.

Since bracket racing is mostly about consistency it seems to me that every part of the car needs to be as close to the same every time it hits the track as is possible.

I doubt there is any performance gains to be found. Maybe a waste of time and money as stated earlier. At about 40 to 50 bucks and taking all of 2 minutes to check and record weekly. How much is that in the big picture of time and money involved in running a car?

Maybe coming from a mostly headsup racing background. I just like to have every bit of info I can and mabye just maybe I will find a little something that helps me in figuring out what car may do or what caused it to do on a run.
Comparison. In 1992 I was talkjing with a group of crew chjfes and someone mentioned they had noticed one who was checking vacuum on a blower at idle with simple vacuum gauge. I figured hell lets see what I can find out.
What I found on our car was that at 21" it was a in the teens, at 22" it was a 6.0_ and at 23" I would straighten my leg out and driver knew car was going to haul because It just gave me a woody( jokingly). B fore comments I rarely changed OD and almost never changed butterfly opening and idle had to same rpm for this to be worth a crap. Yea 6.0 not squat now but at the time it was a top 4 and top 1 cpl times, especially in IHRA. Again it was just information.

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
We use a durometer a lot on our open wheel cars, but on the dragster it would be futile. If you're changing the durometer of the tires enough on a weekly basis, or even monthly basis, you have much bigger problems. Tires are going to wear, but in this sport, the sidewalls will dictate the life of the tire more than the tread. I've seen guy with cords showing that hadn't lost 60 fts yet. But they didn't have enough power to break down the sidewalls.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post