DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How to make your shifter work with the original bench seat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to make your shifter work with the original bench seat?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
So I am sick of these plastic junky racing seats. Don't ride too good on a 2 hr trip. I will gain about another 100 lbs on the car. Should be around 3880 lbs. with driver. All steel and glass full interior. I need to build something up high enough in front of center of seat. Have pro stick with electric shifter and glide. I looked on class racer and no success. Need some pictures. I have always felt much safer with the bench seat for some reason.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bench seats are nice, I had one in my Nova years I drove it to work every day.

All ya need is a piece of tubing with a flat plate on top. You could make it Rat Fink tall if ya want.

I wish I still had my bench seat around, it was back therapeutic nice.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you would chime in on this. The shifters are fine as long as you have no electronics behind them. How you gonna mount the pole? Weld a square base on it? I seen tons of pictures yrs ago. Mike I have had this Nova about 35 years. still complete except air.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
We just moved the shifter up off the floor in our new truck, made a tubular bracket. I'll get a pic when I get home.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
PM sent. not sure how to post pics

Posts: 70 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post

We just moved the shifter up about 8" and kicked it to the right, super rigid.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
HS thanks thats what I have in mind. Smile

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
In a galaxy far away and before buckets became the norm stick shift owners would have a notch cut in the seat.
The persnickety folks would have the upholstery guru finish it out so it looked like the factory made it that way.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post