DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission pump thru system vs pit system
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission pump thru system vs pit system
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering what difference there is between a system like Jones pump cooler and a system in pits that you connect and circulate fluid thru. Asking about performance not ease or convenience.

I see no difference performance wise. Maybe there is something I do not see there. Asking because of the lack of cooling possibilities for my stuff. I can keep engine temp down with fuel system manipulation. Transmission not so much.

I have most pieces needed to build a system that I can roll in connect two lines with jiffy quick connections and flip switch. Have it designed so as to circulate thru the remote cooler then the coil and fan already on the car to transmission. Running both systems for quicker cooling is possible too.

Advantages. Less work for the battery. With limited space no mounting issues. As always with me no or very little weight change to car.Two lines are a lot less than the pump, plumbing and wiring.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
My opinion.. For what it's worth.

The Jones system only cools the fluid in the pan. The external system can be made to do the same thing or with a modified valve body it can pump fluid through the converter and cool it as well.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
There has been a fellow advertising a trans cooler system that reverse circulates the fluid from the cooler lines. It takes fluid from the pan, pumps it through and external fin style cooler with fan and then to the out fitting of the case where it goes through the converter and out the valve body.
He claims no mods to the VB are required. Next time I see the add I'll try to post it here.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
The modification to valve body is a simple hole in the rear section. You have to have a line from it to fitting to the outside so you can hook a line up. I thought the Jones deal di same thing. Maybe not. Will check into it more.

It is the pump-thru deal that I plan to do. Othr wise as stated just cooling fluid in pan and not actual transmission.

If the cooling if the same I see no reason to install instad of having a rolling cart in the pits with the systm ready to go.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I haven't personally ran either. But the only racers I see using the standalone cooler in the pit also tow the car to the staging lanes. I think it also helps to cool the trans down quicker to be able to work on it.
I would think the jones you could use in the staging lanes and would take a little longer to cool down. Plus it would add some weight to the car if that is a concern.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 236 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I think both options are a little overkill on a bracket car. We run multiple cars in high gear in the heat of the summer. A decent trans cooler and a leaf blower is more than enough to keep things under control.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hi gear is one of reason I am looking into this..I have hi/lo valve body/ Have talked with few and seems it can be deadly consistent even if it does cost .5 or so. Just a different shoe polish number. Being broke dycj I can't do the dail board yet.

It may be overkill. With very low cost and almost nothing extra on car.I see it as inusrance incase need is there.

Right now it is a down the line project. Main focus is getting new gear driven mag,cam and vacuum pump drive assbly up and running. Along with finishing the rack n pinion install. Old steering box had major drag,slop and just not working great. Old drive chunked pulleys twice at last outing. So not another add on project.
Hopefully first of next week parts will be here to finish.Car and driver need a workout.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
For what it's worth I think both options are a little overkill on a bracket car. We run multiple cars in high gear in the heat of the summer. A decent trans cooler and a leaf blower is more than enough to keep things under control.

I have seen and race with Denis his system works great and it very simple to and in expensive to make

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:

Which inout shaft are you running. I have ringless shaft and matching aluminum pump. To my understanding even matched setup still has more heat than shaft with rings.

Average temp gain on run using high gear only?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Which inout shaft are you running. I have ringless shaft and matching aluminum pump. To my understanding even matched setup still has more heat than shaft with rings.

Average temp gain on run using high gear only?

Ringed input shafts in all of my cars. I have zero experience with ringless so I can comment on that.

Temp gain seen on the gauge has a ton of variables. I log trans temp on my dragster and it see little to no gain going down track. It's putting all the heat in the converter and the fluid is passing through so quickly. All of my temp gain is seen driving back when the fluid is moving slower and taking heat out of the converter. We rarely pull into the trailer with a trans temp over 190.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
There has been a fellow advertising a trans cooler system that reverse circulates the fluid from the cooler lines. It takes fluid from the pan, pumps it through and external fin style cooler with fan and then to the out fitting of the case where it goes through the converter and out the valve body.
He claims no mods to the VB are required. Next time I see the add I'll try to post it here.
That would be interesting..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
looking at the installation for Jones pump it look as if it pumps thru the outlet line in reverse flow.
It had a block inline as appears to operate so as to have a poopet style shut off that opens line with pressure while blocking the other allowing pump to push fluid from pan back thru converter.

If so my question is. The fluid from the pan is it filtered. I swear I saw a piece that you drilled into the back of VB in a dead space and into passage to allow flow to the converter. Like most thing can not find not that I am looking for it.