DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Oil Dipsticks on a drag car...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Dipsticks on a drag car...
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
LOL @ Top38! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by 23taltered:
I installed a sight glass in my oil pan that has no dipstick. As long as the dipstick is sealed, I can see NO benefit in not having one. Less information is almost never a good thing.

23T, I like that idea. Wanting more details.
Was it a simple deal, like cut or drill at an appropriate location where you can see it, (at proper oil level), and epoxy a glass window on the inside? Or more sophisticated? Is it working out useful for you?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I like the T handle valve cover bolts much less. They can loosen up easily and fall off or the cross can fall out only to make it into somebody’s slick. Dang it

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a wet sump system, a vacuum pump (with a puke tank) and a engine diaper. There are too many things that can cause a loss of oil in the pan and go undetected so a dip stick is a simple effective way to check the oil level.

While not checking the oil level I remove the stick and cover the end of the tube with a vacuum cap. There's no down side to having the dip stick, there is however a big down side to running the engine without enough oil in the pan.

Just my two cents:

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My Dan Olson pan has a dip stick bolt with a bung welded into the pan. It allows you to check the oil level without risk of losing anything. It's not as easy to get to as a normal dipstick, but it works the same.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sight glass is the way to go. Had Stefs weld one in to a pan when we ordered it.

lol @ Al Big Grin

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
LOL @ Top38! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by 23taltered:
I installed a sight glass in my oil pan that has no dipstick. As long as the dipstick is sealed, I can see NO benefit in not having one. Less information is almost never a good thing.

23T, I like that idea. Wanting more details.
Was it a simple deal, like cut or drill at an appropriate location where you can see it, (at proper oil level), and epoxy a glass window on the inside? Or more sophisticated? Is it working out useful for you?

I just ordered one from grainger and installed it in the sump part of the pan on the drivers side. I put a paint mark on it at the suggested capacity, and another one at the lowest crankshaft level. You can see the oil level drop about 3/4" when the engine starts. You can also tell if the oil looks milky.
My other engine has a Dan Olsen pan with the screw-in dipstick.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post