DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Oil Dipsticks on a drag car...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Dipsticks on a drag car...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted
Anyone here have on on there motor? Personally i don't think they are needed.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I use one.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Depends on the car....I've never used one. Preference too I guess.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Most people change the oil in their race car long before it could need a quart. If not, they are usually told by the people standing at the starting line that they need to add a couple.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've never had a dip stick on a race car. A friend of mine rigged one up but it was going into a small container of hershey's syrup. He'd pull the stick out in the staging lanes ask people "does my oil look funny?". They'd be looking at it then he'd lick some off the stick and say "It tastes OK"

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
I've never had a dip stick on a race car. A friend of mine rigged one up but it was going into a small container of hershey's syrup. He'd pull the stick out in the staging lanes ask people "does my oil look funny?". They'd be looking at it then he'd lick some off the stick and say "It tastes OK"

That ain't right......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
those things are dangerous.They could stick you in the eye. Never had one on race car. As stated above I change oil very frequent on race car, more than most but guess that the heads up full maintenance thing still there.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Woody B pm sent

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Run a diaper??? You'd be amazed at how many quarts of oil a diaper will hold and not leak on the ground!
A friend had a diaper and a cracked oil pan. How many passes before they noticed a leak is unknown. The diaper was like a huge water balloon underneath.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Run a diaper??? You'd be amazed at how many quarts of oil a diaper will hold and not leak on the ground!
A friend had a diaper and a cracked oil pan. How many passes before they noticed a leak is unknown. The diaper was like a huge water balloon underneath.

Hopefully, most perform PM in between races. If you're not, then you're probably a dip stick.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What PM do you mean? No dipstick you can't ck the oil. Do you change it every race?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
X2 on what Eman said. I had a crack in my pan toward the end of the season and wouldn't have known if didnt have a dipstick to check it. I was down 2 quarts, all.in the diaper, and not a.drop on the floor anywhere .And yes, i do regularly maintain and check my car .

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Got one on mine. pretty handy. Plus I know exactly where oil level is at any time. Too much oil and it hits the crank. Too low and lose pressure on shut down. Also allows me to see what the oil looks like at any time.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have a diaper on my car and a dipstick. I check the oil level each week.

Here's my theory:
-If it's low, I have a leak and need top check the diaper.
-If it's normal, all is good.
-If it's high, I either have a heavy float or water in the oil and need to check it out.

I change my oil at the beginning of the year and in the middle sometimes if needed. I check the remote filter regularly.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
posted June 24, 2019 10:20 AM Hide Post

I have a diaper on my car and a dipstick. I check the oil level each week.

Here's my theory:
-If it's low, I have a leak and need top check the diaper.
-If it's normal, all is good.
-If it's high, I either have a heavy float or water in the oil and need to check it out.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have dry sumps on everything. We just look down in the tank. But even before that, we'd still drop the pan and look at the pig mat. I don't think a dip stick is a good way to monitor oil loss in a race car, because dropping the diaper might be too much work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I have one, because my Milodon pan came with it.
As with some others, I am a-n-a-l about maintenance, and it would probably drive me nuts to NOT be able to check it, even though what I see on it has never thrown me a curveball yet. But some of the guys have posted some valid benefits to having one.

I will say, I think it is a potential source of crankcase vacuum loss. Both the dipstick seal with the tube, and the tube to pan interface. I put double O-Rings on mine.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I installed a sight glass in my oil pan that has no dipstick. As long as the dipstick is sealed, I can see NO benefit in not having one. Less information is almost never a good thing.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My current motor don't have one. First time without and it worries me to death. Makes me change oil way to often I suppose.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I see dipsticks in race cars all the time! Sometime they have nothing to do with the oil level though!!!!!

Laughing Hard

Sorry, couldn't resist and this tread needed a laugh!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post