DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Some questions about ladder bars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions about ladder bars
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am having some problems with my car hooking with my new motor. It has ladder bars & coilovers & i run a 29x10.5 slick.
Someone said the coilover springs were to stiff.
Car weighs @3000 with me and has 110 springs.
95 seems awful light, has anyone heard of of a car @3000 using that light of a spring?

Posts: 80 | Location: usa | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bama:
I am having some problems with my car hooking with my new motor. It has ladder bars & coilovers & i run a 29x10.5 slick.
Someone said the coilover springs were to stiff.
Car weighs @3000 with me and has 110 springs.
95 seems awful light, has anyone heard of of a car @3000 using that light of a spring?

The weight of the car is really not what you look at for springs, what the weight on the rear axle? The next question is where are the rear shocks mounted relative to the centerline of the ear end, in front or in back. Most are in back.

As a guess for this type of door car without any more info I would say it's heavier on the front than rear so 95 could be a good choice but if you have 110's then likely that's not the real issue. It's more likely the front springs could be too stiff which would not help front end travel that the car needs to transfer the weight on to the rear tires. You would also be surprised what an 80 lbs weight bar properly place in the rear of the car would do also.

More info really needed to help.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Unless they're bad.

The best springs you can buy are PAC if you can find them, now discontinued. Or Eibach, then Hypercoil. All springs are definitely not created equal.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_tech_articles.html
Good tech info here and a guide on choosing spring weight. My car is 3,000lbs and I've got 110 springs on the back with ladder bars 10.5W tires.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
EMAN
Just curious what shocks do you run?

Posts: 80 | Location: usa | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
A couple of things to consider. With a small tire like that on a fairly heavy car sidewalls will go away quicker causing problems. I have a friend that runs a small tire and I think (IIRC)he changes rear tires every 50 runs or so now because reaction times and 60 times start going away. Car works really well after that.

Also a ladder bar car can work very good but it does work the shocks (and tires)really hard and the shocks must be able to control it. If shocks do not have enough extension dampening they top out and unload the tire.

I would get a good video from the sunny side so you can see what the rear tire is doing and how much body separation you have. Watch the rim and see how close it gets to ground when it wraps up. Watch body to see if it is topping out.

Also may put car on jack stands and work the rear suspension through out the range and see what it is doing. Look for any binding. See how much of the rear shocks are used in sitting position. With ladder bars you want probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the shock compressed when sitting as most of shock travel will be extension on ladder bars.

You might even try to put a Go Pro on the rear suspension to see what it is doing. Once again you are looking to see how much of the shock is used up at the hit and verify it is not topping out.

If that is all good go back to your video and look at front suspension.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3968 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Rear shocks need to be good quality. Set them a lot harder than you think they need to be then increase them a couple more clicks harder.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try a 29.5x10.5x15 mickey thompson PBR then make your decision about springs and what not. I blistered a new set of bias hoosiers the same size, swapped back to the pbr's, right back to where it should have been.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bama:
EMAN
Just curious what shocks do you run?

Double adjustable Afco I think they are #3870. I've run PBR's, I'll stick to bias have Hoosiers on it now.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post