DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Adding clutch discs to PG direct drum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding clutch discs to PG direct drum
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted
Most rebuild kits come with 6 fiber discs. But there isn't room for 6 and have proper clearance, without machining the apply piston. Cutting the piston lowers the first steel to where it won't engage the drum. So, is there a trick solution to getting 6 discs into a stock drum?

I've been welding the tabs on a steel and machining them to engage the drum, but it is very time consuming.

There has to be a better way.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Incoming PM ^^^^

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Definitely no expert here, but I've been running 6 for years. The guys at TSR told me to remove the last steel and run the friction against the cover(sun gear). I may have had to cut the piston a little also, but I don't remember having to. Have not had any issues running it this way.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I know it does not answer your question but the Sonnax 8 clutch drum kit is a pretty cheap alternative and has to be a much better drum than stock. If you still only want 6 frictions then just add a couple of steels. I run the 10 clutch drum with 9 frictions, just use different thickness steels to achieve the clearance I want

https://www.summitracing.com/t...ng&keyword=28755-14K

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Run the top friction against the cover, machine the piston down to where the last steel is just on the lugs, and use different thickness frictions and steels......pretty common....I run 8 in mine and upped line pressure to 250-275 psi....gonna take a lot to make it slip!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's. I looked at running it against the sun gear plate, it just seemed like a bad idea....worth a try.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post