DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange oil pressure problem
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange oil pressure problem
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Surprised someone hasn't mentioned a cam bearing problem. If one of these moves out of line it will cause an issue at the gauge if taking off the back of the block.

Had #4 move a couple years ago which is pretty common on Dart Blocks and would cause low oil pressure when it would run awhile. Shut it off, start it up and it was better. After awhile it would go low again. Crazy

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
....you can have perfect oil pressure with a pick up broke off laying in the bottom of the pan....also drain back problems would cause the pan to be sucked dry,eventually leading to "0" pressure reading....

quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
If the pickup is indeed cracked or broken it would explain the half full filter and oiling problem caused by the oil foaming. Like sucking through a straw with a hole in it. Kind of obvious I guess but just a thought none the less.

^^^ These posts both make a lot of sense.
Good Luck to you Cal, please keep us posted.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cal of MD:
Also of note, I had the oil filter off twice now and each time it was only half full. Just out of curiosity....I would start the car up ,do not let it warm up,while oil pressure is still good,shut it off and check the oil filter to see if it is full....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've had the exact same thing happen on a motor I built. Turns out I was dumb and put an externally balanced flexplate on an internally balanced motor. In the beginning I flattened a cam and replaced it thinking that was the problem because the oil pressure problem went away. The motor made it 700 runs before I took it apart and found the real problem. 550 HP 432 BBC.

Andy Schmall

Posts: 1 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the rear cam bearing problem....installer didn’t install correctly leaving the oil band partially exposed. Mimicked exactly what you are describing but the half full oil filter is different. This was the rear cam bearing. Back in the day the rear bearings were wider now they are same width as rest...easy to install wrong. I ended up removing the rear plug and removing/installing from rear.

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys.
Just a quick update.
I have several other projects interfere with the SS. So it has been on hold for a bit. Will get back on it as soon as possible.
Thanks again for all the comment.
Cal SST 1177

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post