DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for someone to modify my intake, suggestions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for someone to modify my intake, suggestions?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed/Rich

To say that port matching is a waste of time and provides no performance benefits is a real can of worms mainly because the combination is what's most important! Some intakes benefit from simple port matching and ya some don't but not because of the porting, it's a combination deal. Take your typical BBC 565 making 9oo something HP, bolt on an SV 565, run it, then port match it, you are likely to see no difference in performance, do the same with the older super victor intake and you will see a difference! (If you don't, you shouldn't be porting anything!) So why? On the SV 565, is stock from it already flows more than the heads can and the rough opening at the head flange is already big! On the super victor, the openings at the head flange are necked down big time over a short distance and they are cast this way on purpose to allow them to be port matched to many heads! Another extreme case of this is with the spread port heads with Edelbrock newer SV intake. The port openings are cast tiny on purpose!

On any normal bracket build it is normally worth port matching and doing a quick clean up of the carb/plenum area in a well match combo. This is usually a 2 to 4 hour max hand port deal, do not waste any time polishing!

Dennis

There is no such thing as a dry (no fuel) intake with injection. Ever!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:
Originally posted by fasterat:
What heads are you using?

Thiteks

You never stated the goals of your build and therefore the amount of porting required!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
On any normal bracket build it is normally worth port matching and doing a quick clean up of the carb/plenum area in a well match combo. This is usually a 2 to 4 hour max hand port deal, do not waste any time polishing!

Al, as I'm sure you will agree, a port match and radius of the plenum has become part of bracket race engine building 101 and ALL my engine's manifolds have had this done but the truth is it's not worth anything on the time slip unless you are using a manifold who's ports are just way small for the heads, even then, the port match and plenum cleanup won't show anything significant on the time slip over running the right manifold or more correct, the typical manifold most engine builders are using for a given combo and more often than not, said manifold is too big for that combo and only made worse by porting it like using a SV565 on a 565 which many have done because they believe the marketing of this manifold calling it a 565 when in fact it's the same manifold as the SV632 just a 9.8 deck version. Slick Rick McConathy, who is arguably the best head guy and porter in the country

https://www.slickrickheads.com/

and who is the SR in the SR20 head has stated years ago that the SV565 is too big for the typical BBC with heads that flow 400+cfm and turns 7500rpm. Further, the port entry angle to the head is terrible and can't be fix 100% even with extensive welding any grinding.

That said, for the BBC engines discussed in this forum 565, 582, 598 using conventional heads, the Super Victor is the better choice.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

Al, as I'm sure you will agree, a port match and radius of the plenum has become part of bracket race engine building 101 and ALL my engine's manifolds have had this done but the truth is it's not worth anything on the time slip unless you are using a manifold who's ports are just way small for the heads, even then, the port match and plenum cleanup won't show anything significant on the time slip over running the right manifold or more correct, the typical manifold most engine builders are using for a given combo and more often than not, said manifold is too big for that combo and only made worse by porting it like using a SV565 on a 565 which many have done because they believe the marketing of this manifold calling it a 565 when in fact it's the same manifold as the SV632 just a 9.8 deck version. Slick Rick McConathy, who is arguably the best head guy and porter in the country

https://www.slickrickheads.com/

and who is the SR in the SR20 head has stated years ago that the SV565 is too big for the typical BBC with heads that flow 400+cfm and turns 7500rpm. Further, the port entry angle to the head is terrible and can't be fix 100% even with extensive welding any grinding.

That said, for the BBC engines discussed in this forum 565, 582, 598 using conventional heads, the Super Victor is the better choice.

Ed

Regarding the SV's, the issue is Edelbrock cast those intakes to fit,,, no,, let's say bolt up to all BBC conventional heads along with the SR20 head family and therein lies the issues! I understand and agree with Rick's statement of runner alignment, seen it long ago! I believe Chris Uracko had a specific SR 20 intake cast about a year ago, no idea how it performed! As for the intake you plane to use, out of the box the last 3/4" or so of the runner's tapper way down and needs to be port matched, bolt it on out of the box and then do what I described above, you will see the difference on the time slip. I will bet you that dinner you owe me! Big Grin

Not a fan as the as-cast blend from the carb flange to the runner roof either on old super victors also.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, we will never know what this unported, only gasket matched intake is worth in a gain or loss as I’m swapping carbs to. That said, I expect to pickup 30-40hp with the current restrictions removed.

I’ll buy dinner at Taste of Italy next time your up at Numidia or you can buy at Newicks when we see you at Epping. Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I probably should clarify what I'm looking for and give some more info. The hard core Gen3 Hemi crowd is almost exclusively either EFI or boosted or both. VERY few are NA and carbureted like I am. The single plane intake choice is very limited with only two or maybe three options at best.

The Ritter intake I'm using is the most popular and the best out of box. That being said it has been proven that the plenum is too small when you have good heads and a cam to take advantage of them, especially on the shorter version that I have to use because of hood clearance. My intake is port matched/blended to the heads, but like I said it has been proven that enlarging the plenum does yield good results. The good news is that there is enough meat to make the carb flange and plenum 4500 size. It has been done by a few, but I myself am not willing to do it, I would much have rather someone that knows what they are doing work on it. I don't want to cause more harm the good.

If it were a BBC, SBC or LS engine there are many great intake choices for those engines that work great out of the box, but no so much for the late model Hemi, especially a larger displacement engine like mine.

Wilson is familiar with this intake and they told me 30-40HP gains are common.........but they are proud of their work! LOL

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and they won’t guarantee you’ll see .01 or .1mph on the time slip! I never liked Kool-Aid

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
565 Brodix intake
565 SV 565 better by a solid 1-2 mph running S/C
Both port matched to heads
Further plenum work worth nothing

I’d never use the std SV over either on a 565 in a light car

The biggest gains on intakes are ones with poor line of sight and runner size mismatch to the heads.

Old intakes like Victor Jr.s could be welded on the outside to allow grinding inside and reduce the turns

Newer intakes are as I said far better and no way one intake can be perfect for all engines since cubic inch is a real big spread from say a 565 to well over 600

I thought the SV 565 was an excellent intake and still do.

Used the std older super Victor on smaller engines like a 509 and 522

Nothing wrong with a purty intake and heads that play nice together.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Al, we will never know what this unported, only gasket matched intake is worth in a gain or loss as I’m swapping carbs to. That said, I expect to pickup 30-40hp with the current restrictions removed.

I’ll buy dinner at Taste of Italy next time your up at Numidia or you can buy at Newicks when we see you at Epping. Big Grin

Ed, I will one up Newicks, I will take you to Ron's Steak House! Ten minutes from the track! Wink BTW, try the Old Salt Restaurant in Hampton next time you're at NED.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Johnny Hasak at CFM South on Facebook .One of the best More than just a gasket match and cartridge roll job .Many big steam NA engines using his stuff.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:
Johnny Hasak at CFM South on Facebook .One of the best More than just a gasket match and cartridge roll job .Many big steam NA engines using his stuff.

Thanks BS...

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ed, I will one up Newicks, I will take you to Ron's Steak House! Ten minutes from the track! Wink BTW, try the Old Salt Restaurant in Hampton next time you're at NED.

Al, appreciate the offer but unless they are a seafood restaurant disguised as a steakhouse, I’m going to have to pass. When I’m in New England or some island in the Caribbean or pacific I’m all about fresh seafood. Besides I’m in NYC daily and we have some of the best steakhouses in the country here and I frequent them often. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Al, appreciate the offer but unless they are a seafood restaurant disguised as a steakhouse, I’m going to have to pass. When I’m in New England or some island in the Caribbean or pacific I’m all about fresh seafood. Besides I’m in NYC daily and we have some of the best steakhouses in the country here and I frequent them often. Big Grin

Ed

I will let the cat out of the bag but first the Old Salt is a great place with excellent sea food and steak! I am sure you would love it!

As for Ron's Steak House, well that's code for McDonalds!! Big Grin And they got drive through along with RV/Trailer parking! I hear the fish filet with tartar sauce is excellent! Wink

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard

Here in the city pre covid there was a place called Robert's steakhouse which was/is a high end strip club and if you lost your mind the tab would easy go mid 4 figures for a party of 2!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:

Thanks again BS, talked to Johnny, seems like a knowledgeable dude.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2