DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for someone to modify my intake, suggestions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for someone to modify my intake, suggestions?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted
As the title says, wanting some modifying/porting done on my single plane cast intake. I have checked with Wilson so far and have a call in to Chad Spier. Anyone have suggestions for someone else?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
As the title says, wanting some modifying/porting done on my single plane cast intake. I have checked with Wilson so far and have a call in to Chad Spier. Anyone have suggestions for someone else?

How about someone local you can drive to? Would that work for you?

Dude is 70 years old, been doing it 40-50 years.

St. Petersburg Fl.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Any competent race engine shop can do a gasket match into the runners and plenum blend, basically a shine job. Beyond that and the hope for any improvement on the time slip requires a full porting/sizing/shaping of the runners and plenum which requires the porter having the heads welding, grinding, spending $ and even then the result will most likely only lighten your wallet.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The square port intakes I bolt on these pump gas Big Blocks, all start off oval port because the intake ports on the heads I use have a shorter rectangular port than a conventional 990 head as for an example.

Dude bangs em out for me beautiful, ports the entire intake.

Most importantly they all make power.

Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler,,, 40-50 years experience he's done em all.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Eric Weingartner Racing http://wengines.com/

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Slawko has done a few for me over the years...Alwasy very happy with the the results. He just did one for my new deal.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
photos and how much $?

Wilson gets over $2000 for a fully ported manifold.

Tommy learned his craft from Larry Woodward who back in the day was the man for porting heads and manifolds as well cast iron repairs. Larry together with his step son Bruce MacDowell did the cast iron heads on my 468 as well several manifolds including the manifold on my 533 in the Firebird.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wilson Here, There is another guy in FLa, Gabby, that does nice work Not sure if that is who Reitow is referencing.

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

How about someone local you can drive to? Would that work for you?

Dude is 70 years old, been doing it 40-50 years.

St. Petersburg Fl.

PM sent...

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:

What manifold is it? I'm hammered. Like April. Maybe I could post up a few pictures and you can DIY it!

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
quote:

What manifold is it? I'm hammered. Like April. Maybe I could post up a few pictures and you can DIY it!

It's a Ritter for a Gen3 hemi.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What heads are you using?

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fasterat:
What heads are you using?

Thiteks

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Looking at pictures of that intake, I'd say other than a bad port mismatch and doing some plenum work to create a better entry you'd not see any big gains

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Correction he won’t see any gains on the time slip. You know first hand Rich that a bad port mismatch doesn’t equate to a loss of performance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Yes you are correct Ed and we both know a ton of money spent on porting is often better spent somewhere else....

A max effort engine is worth chasing small gains but in general NO....

Been there myself on my own stuff and saw nothing....

When you have an ugly intake or heads with sharp turns there are usually ways to improve performance. But on well designed modern stuff.....not so much...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Yes you are correct Ed

A max effort engine is worth chasing small gains but in general NO

Agreed and 99.9% of us here do not have a max effort engine.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you're running EFI of some kind. I could be 100% wrong but wouldn't plenum porting on a dry intake be less critical as you're not trying to keep fuel atomized?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Since its a GenIII hemi might ask BES or Brett Miller to add to the list.

FWIW Gabby is nowhere near 70. He owns EIC Motorsports and is VERY good at what he does. He is in Lakeland, FL

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Gabby, was with Wilson years ago IIRC