Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Life Span of a 3.2a/5 Firesuit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Span of a 3.2a/5 Firesuit
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just wondering if there is an actual life span on a 3.2a/5 fire suit. I know the upper ones have to be certified ever few years but didn't know about the lower rating ones.
I have had mine for over 10 years and is showing a quite a bit of were. Does the fire rating diminish over years??

Big Sexy!!

Posts: 21 | Location: King George Va. | Registered: September 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Yes they do not have to be re-certified but they do have limitations IMO. If its showing wear, replace it! Even though I am guilty of wearing my pants throughout the day, you should only have your suit on when you are in the car. This limits the amount of oil/fuel/grease etc that it is exposed to. This all degrades it ability to protect you.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

Necksgen REV, HANS, and Simpson Hybrid Available!

Carrying all your safety items, engine components, chassis pieces, wheels, tires, communication systems, hydrodipping, and custom fabrication of any part, big or small!! Contact me for all our current specials!!

Posts: 42 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If its a Sparco, about 2 years then the zipper is junk. Happened more times than one......

Posts: 27 | Location: kentucky | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by td232:
If its a Sparco, about 2 years then the zipper is junk. Happened more times than one......

Yep, had it happen to the jacket and pants on mine about 3 years ago. Hopefully they have that problem fixed by now

2014 Texas Motorplex Electronics and Quick open wheel track champion

Posts: 793 | Location: On the the dark side now | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
don't call and ask for help with the situation either. I just did yesterday, and was told, "yeah it has been happening, but its not a big deal, just take your two year old, $300 fire jacket to a seamstress and have a new one put in it.."

Posts: 27 | Location: kentucky | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Where are the sparcos made?

Posts: 145 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by td232:
don't call and ask for help with the situation either. I just did yesterday, and was told, "yeah it has been happening, but its not a big deal, just take your two year old, $300 fire jacket to a seamstress and have a new one put in it.."

Thats exactly what I was told 3 years ago, love the suit but the zippers suck. I guess they havent changed to a different zipper then

Posts: 793 | Location: On the the dark side now | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boucher Jr:

I thought Italy, could be wrong but zippers are from China for sure

DRR Trophy
Picture of ytoddmalibu
posted Hide Post
I'v had my Simpson for at least 10 years and it still looks like new, never any issues with zippers. I will say washing in cold water with woolite and drip dry is the only way I have ever cleaned it, once at the end of each season.

Todd P

3/28/2014 RIP Juli Pasch the love of my life for ever

Posts: 88 | Location: MidMichMotorplex | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dwayne W
posted Hide Post
Get a new good hd zipper installed and lightly oil it with vegetable oil.. works great.. just a little

Posts: 153 | Location: Grande prairie alberta canada | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Bees wax is what you need to use on zippers.

Posts: 643 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I have heard that before about the bees wax.

For what it's worth - firesuits need to be cleaned on a regular basis. Normal laundering in cold water seems to be fine. Mine is a bit faded but still in good shape. One thing you can do to help the fire resistance is to soak the suit in a mixture of water and baking soda overnight, then hang it up - preferably outdoors and let it dry out. It also removes a lot of the body odor from sweat, etc.

www.rutherfordms.com - tips and tricks, project builds and how-to's

Posts: 964 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
In 2005 I had a little problem that resulted in me being on fire.

The suit I was wearing at the time is the same suit that my dad was wearing in an old picture I have. The pic is from 1993 and the suit looked worn out then. I doubt if it was ever washed in between.

The suit had no elastic at the cuffs so my legs got burnt just a tiny bit, but if they hadn't cut the pants off of me, I would have kept wearing the suit.

Not saying any of this is best practice or a good idea, just sharing my experience.

Posts: 731 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
For me it has always been when the grease stains are so bad, I get stressed wondering if it ***** will self-combust. Last one 10 years Got black this time Rolling

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12203 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zipper...f:g:fvIAAOSwvgdW5uxI

I bought a case of this stuff a couple of years ago. My grandmother swore by the stuff and it does work. Not sure how many I have left.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 859 | Location: Laplata, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
As long as it isn't worn out, NOMEX should last a lifetime. It is a fire resistant product, not a treatment. Now, I'm sure that DuPont will tell you different as soon as they develop a newer product. Kind of like they did with R-12 Freon. It wasn't outlawed until the patent ran out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 315 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Boucher Jr:

I thought Italy, could be wrong but zippers are from China for sure

Thanks, confirmed this weekend tag on a brand new jacket says made in chinka.

Posts: 145 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Paul you live and race in FLA and you bought a BLACK Firesuit You Nuts.

Posts: 1786 | Location: usa | Registered: May 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
https://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/Safety2-04.pdf

3.2A/1 3 seconds until a 2nd degree burn

3.2A/5 9 seconds until a 2nd degree burn

3.2A/15 30 seconds until a 2nd degree burn

3.2A/20 40 seconds until a 2nd degree burn

This made me rethink my safety. My 10 second car doesn't require I wear fire pants but I wear them anyway, just in case.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 330 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zipper...f:g:fvIAAOSwvgdW5uxI

I bought a case of this stuff a couple of years ago. My grandmother swore by the stuff and it does work. Not sure how many I have left.

BURT'S BEES WAX LIP BALM SOLD NEXT TO CHAPSTICK.

Posts: 154 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post